Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Electroplating Plastic?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Electroplating Plastic? [message #32241] Mon, 08 August 2011 04:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar Wizzard419  is currently offline Wizzard419
Go to all my models
Hi all, forgive me for double posting (I think the first one might have been in the wrong section)

I was wondering if anyone has tried to get their printed model (in plastic) plated in anything? I know it's possible as a concept but not sure how well it works with the mediums used, or if it's impossible due to temperature thresholds.

I have an idea for a display item and if I could save money by using plastic and then plating it that would be nice.
Re: Electroplating Plastic? [message #32951 is a reply to message #32241 ] Fri, 19 August 2011 14:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ahncinema  is currently offline ahncinema
Go to all my models
Here's the link to the earlier post: http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=5445&a mp;start=0&
Re: Electroplating Plastic? [message #32982 is a reply to message #32951 ] Fri, 19 August 2011 21:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks, is the cheapest plastic suitable for electroplating?

How has the durability been? As much as it's going to be a display piece I don't want to have to worry about someone picking it up and accidentally cracking the metal off.
Re: Electroplating Plastic? [message #32985 is a reply to message #32982 ] Fri, 19 August 2011 23:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ahncinema  is currently offline ahncinema
Go to all my models
I believe that WSF is the cheapest plastic available through Shapeways, and that's what I got plated. I've talked to Sean, the guy that runs that particular plating company, and he told me that his process works on virtually every plastic.
I can also tell you that you needn't worry about the plating cracking off. Unlike gold leaf or similarly fragile coatings, this is an actual coat of metal. I'm using my coated piece on film sets, so I'm positive that your display piece will have no trouble.
At the moment, Sean doesn't have a wide variety of coatings. He's currently working on a matte black nickel coating, but I believe that's the extent of what he can do in-house. 3DDC in England can probably give you more choices in terms of color and finish.
Re: Electroplating Plastic? [message #32988 is a reply to message #32241 ] Fri, 19 August 2011 23:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I'll have to check out the rates of a local place too, my end goal is a brass coating but it may need to start off as one of the plates that Sean uses, which may be more cost effective.

My main concern was actually about the temperature of the acid bath since I was worried it would warp but your results have eased my mind quite a bit.
Re: Electroplating Plastic? [message #36909 is a reply to message #32988 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 20:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar erckgillis  is currently offline erckgillis
Go to my shop
Easy copper spray on metallic coating for plastic. Then you just electro plate from the copper to silver, brass or other materials.

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/cupwdr.htm

Ed

Ed
ERCK Store

Previous Topic:Painting Grey Robust
Next Topic:Copper nickel and gold plating