Home » Community » Introductions » Hi!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hi! [message #32093] Fri, 05 August 2011 05:14 UTC Go to next message
avatar gp443  is currently offline gp443
Go to all my models
Man, this is awesome. Read in engadget a guy made parts for his baby stroller for a fraction of the cost, that got me thinking.

I'd like to make some of my stuff work too. And I have some questions if you could be so helpful Smile .

1 - Are there any 3D designers that work in Linux/Mac? With Wine? Irrespective of the Operating System (I have Linux, Mac and Vista), what would you recommend of a designer that would be easy to get started with?
2 - How do I get started? Go to the tutorials section?
3 - How do I compute the cost of the part to make?
Re: Hi! [message #32095 is a reply to message #32093 ] Fri, 05 August 2011 06:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi gp443,

Welcome to Shapeways!

Blender is popular free multi-platform design software, but it has a fairly steep learning curve though. There are also lots of tutorials for all things Blender out there.

Starting with Shapeways tutorials will give you a good idea bout what can be done and waht can't. It is also important to take note of the materials print restrictions. The Materials page shows the cc prices for the materials and the has links to the individual material pages. From the individual material pages, you'll also find design rules the you should stick to... some of the materials also have advanced design rules that show method or examples of how to bend the rules a bit or techniques that can be used to creat models with moving parts printed in-situ. The Materials comparison sheet also gives the prices, as well as showing the maximum print dimensions for each material.

NetFabb Studio Basic (free) is a great multi-platform utility for checking models for 3D printing. It can analyse a model, show and repair errors as well as having an excellent suite of measuring tools - model volume is shown, so to get an idea of the price for a model, just multiply by the Shapeways cc price.

Have fun!
Paul

Re: Hi! [message #33575 is a reply to message #32095 ] Tue, 30 August 2011 19:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
stop4stuff wrote on Fri, 05 August 2011 06:55

Hi gp443,

Welcome to Shapeways!

Blender is popular free multi-platform design software, but it has a fairly steep learning curve though. There are also lots of tutorials for all things Blender out there.

Starting with Shapeways tutorials will give you a good idea bout what can be done and waht can't. It is also important to take note of the materials print restrictions. The Materials page shows the cc prices for the materials and the has links to the individual material pages. From the individual material pages, you'll also find design rules the you should stick to... some of the materials also have advanced design rules that show method or examples of how to bend the rules a bit or techniques that can be used to creat models with moving parts printed in-situ. The Materials comparison sheet also gives the prices, as well as showing the maximum print dimensions for each material.

NetFabb Studio Basic (free) is a great multi-platform utility for checking models for 3D printing. It can analyse a model, show and repair errors as well as having an excellent suite of measuring tools - model volume is shown, so to get an idea of the price for a model, just multiply by the Shapeways cc price.

Have fun!
Paul

Cool

I want to make something with steel (or some other hard metal), what are the minimum and maximum level of detail (say teeth on a gear) should I expect?
Re: Hi! [message #33576 is a reply to message #32093 ] Tue, 30 August 2011 19:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm not as talented in the html department, but here are the design rules for stainless http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/stainless-steel and at the bottom there is a link for rules for designing under 3mm.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Hi! [message #33601 is a reply to message #33576 ] Wed, 31 August 2011 11:07 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Tue, 30 August 2011 19:03

I'm not as talented in the html department, but here are the design rules for stainless http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/stainless-steel and at the bottom there is a link for rules for designing under 3mm.

See, my big thing is that I'd like to know how detailed a gear like this will look in real life made out of something like stainless steel.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/36007/spur_gear_z_32_m_1_25.h tml?gid=mg

Are there pictures of finished products?

Previous Topic:Greetings from Seattle
Next Topic:Greetings from Cologne

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.