Home »  » It arrived! » Got my first two items - strange differences!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon9.gif  Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #31985] Tue, 02 August 2011 20:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar Callamon  is currently offline Callamon
Go to my shop
Today I got my first two items from shapeways, eagerly awaited prints of the ORION from the german TV series "Raumpatrouille".

I ordered both in the same material, "transparent detail". Although that material is more textured than I thought one of them is ok (the right one in the pictures), but the other one unfortunately not.

Please look at the pictures: The left one is much less transparent, has a much lower resolution (at least this is how the surface looks, much more texture than the right one), in addition to that it is MUCH weaker than the right one (you can bend the rim of the disc very easily, while the right one is much stronger, and the "antennas" sag because of their own weight), it has a VERY strong and bad chemical smell and is very, VERY sticky. My fingers become sticky, too, when I touch it.

index.php?t=getfile&id=10317&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=10318&private=0

So I guess either the wrong material was used for the left one, or wrong printer settings, resulting in the low resolution, weak material, awful smell and stickiness.

I already contacted Shapeways and am curious how they will react. I mean, the same item, printed at the same time in the same material should be equal in characteristics and quality, shouldn't it?

[Updated on: Tue, 02 August 2011 20:14 UTC]

Re: Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #31987 is a reply to message #31985 ] Tue, 02 August 2011 20:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
It looks like the right hand one has been printed horizontally and the other vertically.

Bill Bedford
Re: Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #31992 is a reply to message #31985 ] Wed, 03 August 2011 00:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Callamon

Send an email to service (at) shapeways.com with the images and they will sort it out for you.

Cheers

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #31996 is a reply to message #31992 ] Wed, 03 August 2011 03:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jzichek  is currently offline jzichek
Go to all my models
That's really disappointing, hope Shapeways comes through and reprints that piece for you. It's kind of troubling that there is such variable quality with printing the same pieces - we really need to be allowed to specify the orientation of the parts to try and minimize the problem.

I wasn't aware of "Raumpatrouille Orion" till I saw your post - looks like a cool vintage sci-fi show! I added the DVD collection to my Amazon.de wishlist, hope to buy it in the near future.

-Jared

[Updated on: Wed, 03 August 2011 03:34 UTC]

Re: Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #31998 is a reply to message #31996 ] Wed, 03 August 2011 04:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
I also think it is an orientation issue. Sorry this happened to your prints.

I don't think this would happen at 3D printing companies that charge 5 to 10 times more to make prints, but then again, we'd have to pay 5 to 10 times more. So,... Sad

On another note, I love the soundtrack to Raumpatrouille. Peter Thomas is amazing! Never saw the show though.

Lincoln

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #31999 is a reply to message #31992 ] Wed, 03 August 2011 06:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
duann wrote on Wed, 03 August 2011 00:11

Send an email to service (at) shapeways.com with the images and they will sort it out for you.

As I wrote in my initial posting I already contacted them. I will post here how they react to my complaint.
Re: Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #32000 is a reply to message #31987 ] Wed, 03 August 2011 06:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
BillBedford wrote on Tue, 02 August 2011 20:41

It looks like the right hand one has been printed horizontally and the other vertically.

This would explain the different texture, but not the really BAD chemical smell and the awful stickiness of the left print.
icon14.gif  Re: Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #32008 is a reply to message #32000 ] Wed, 03 August 2011 09:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The Shapeways customer service just answered to my mail. They'll check what went wrong, both models should look like the one on the right in the pictures.

They'll send me a free re-print.

Great customer service! Cool
Re: Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #32019 is a reply to message #31985 ] Wed, 03 August 2011 15:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bondp99  is currently offline bondp99
Go to my shop
Hi,

great to see some pictures of my models!
The original design was modeled to be print in WSF. I have the first two prototypes at home and had no issues about different texture quality. Try WSF for next order, it has often a smother surface than the detail materials.

btw, I uploaded a smaller model as requested.

--- exclusive construction machinery models - scale 1:50 ---
Re: Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #32030 is a reply to message #32019 ] Wed, 03 August 2011 19:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
bondp99 wrote on Wed, 03 August 2011 15:49

Try WSF for next order, it has often a smother surface than the detail materials.

btw, I uploaded a smaller model as requested.

The problem with WSF is that it is not transparent. I wanted the disc and the fins on the bottom "screen accurate", so a transparent material was in need.

Thanks for uploading the smaller version, will order it soon.
Re: Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #33553 is a reply to message #32030 ] Tue, 30 August 2011 11:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Callamon wrote on Wed, 03 August 2011 19:57

I wanted the disc and the fins on the bottom "screen accurate", so a transparent material was in need.

Thanks for uploading the smaller version, will order it soon.

Just got my print if FUD of the smaller variant. Well, what should I say... second try, second problem. I'll upload pictures and start a new thread about it tomorrow, but I'll try to explain here how it looks:

Two thirds of the model are slightly transparent, as it should be, the other third is mode or less opaque white. There is a "step" where the white area begins, so you can not only see it, but feel it, two. The white area is much rougher than the transparent one - it looks like the printer changed resolution right in the middle of the printing process... Sad

I'll send the pictures to shapeways too this evening and hope they will replace the item. It is useless that way - once more. Mad

They are really going to loose a customer here. Is there nobody who just takes a quick look at the printed items before they are boxed for shipping? This error is sooo obvious, as the previous one here was too.
Re: Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #33556 is a reply to message #33553 ] Tue, 30 August 2011 13:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
What you see is inherent in the way FUD is produced. It is caused by the interaction of the plastic and the support wax.
There has been much discusion about this in the last 3 months on the forum.

See this for an explaination

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2011 13:37 UTC]

Bill Bedford
Re: Got my first two items - strange differences! [message #33557 is a reply to message #33556 ] Tue, 30 August 2011 13:39 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
BillBedford wrote on Tue, 30 August 2011 13:33

What you see is inherent in the way FUD is produced. It is caused by the interaction of the plastic and the support wax.
There has been much discusion about this in the last 3 months on the forum,

Well, as I wrote you can not only see it, but also feel it. There is a "step" between the clear and the opaque areas.

If this is a known problem Shapeways should mention it in the description of the material. They don't - so I expect to get a uniform item, not a one that looks like produced from two different materials or being printed in two different resolutions.

I'm curious what they will say when they get my pictures this evening - especially with Nancy from Shapeways posting in another thread in the beginning of August that "the two-layer problem has been solved"... Confused

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2011 14:05 UTC]

Previous Topic:Silver print resolution
Next Topic:Clock Escapement

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.