Home » Community » General Discussion » Coloured sandstone resolution
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Coloured sandstone resolution [message #31920] Mon, 01 August 2011 12:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar Bunrattypark  is currently offline Bunrattypark
Go to my shop
Just a quick question for anyone with experience of the coloured sandstone, please.

If I print a small object in coloured sandstone, using white lettering on a black background, how small can I print the lettering before the resolution is lost, taking into account the surface texture of the sandstone itself? How small, before the lettering becomes unreadable?

I will print a test piece first, but I thought someone here might have prior experience of this. Many thanks.
Re: Coloured sandstone resolution [message #31981 is a reply to message #31920 ] Tue, 02 August 2011 18:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
First and very important, in the black vs white ("wheat yellow") battle, the black wins, so white letters over black will need thicker lines than black letters over white. A simple pattern of white and black lines, a 0.4 mm thickness starts to become a problem over a flat surface, and becomes mostly black at half that.
Re: Coloured sandstone resolution [message #31982 is a reply to message #31920 ] Tue, 02 August 2011 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bunrattypark  is currently offline Bunrattypark
Go to my shop
That's brilliant, thanks! Not what I wanted to hear, of course, but saves me printing something that evidently wouldn't have worked. Thanks again, cheers!
Re: Coloured sandstone resolution [message #32026 is a reply to message #31920 ] Wed, 03 August 2011 18:08 UTC Go to previous message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Try extruding the text upward to isolate the letters. That will make them stand out better. Raise them around 0.2 - 0.5mm, but don't let the height be more than 50% of the width of the feature. You can get clear letters about 6mm tall doing this.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog

Previous Topic:Who's design is this?
Next Topic:Something for us foreigners

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.