Home » Community » General Discussion » Has Anybody Flown A SHAPEWAYS Printed Airplane?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Has Anybody Flown A SHAPEWAYS Printed Airplane? [message #31773] Fri, 29 July 2011 01:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar Colin  is currently offline Colin
Go to my shop
Looks like engineers at Southampton University have flown one of their own --
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-07-southampton-world-aircra ft.html

I wonder if it is possible to print a big enough model within the SHAPEWAYS printing parameters to generate enough lift to overcome the mass of the necessary structure, controls, battery and motor(s)?

Any guesses? Any calculated estimates?

This looks like an interesting challenge for a contest.

Enjoy!

Colin Keizer
Fall City, WA
Re: Has Anybody Flown A SHAPEWAYS Printed Airplane? [message #31776 is a reply to message #31773 ] Fri, 29 July 2011 02:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Their airplane is probably multiple parts, no way to fit 2 meters into a EOS P730, max is 700 mm x 380 mm x 580 mm... same limits than "big WSF" here at SW, so you should be able to duplicate their airplane. Wild rough price calculation, approximate the wings to two 200*30cm surfaces, 2mm thick, that goes over 1800 dollars. Add fuselage and V-tail, then all the internal structure to reinforce and connect the parts. 4000 dollars if you get the design right in first try?
Re: Has Anybody Flown A SHAPEWAYS Printed Airplane? [message #31777 is a reply to message #31776 ] Fri, 29 July 2011 03:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ouch!

Maybe I will try a MUCH smaller design, with rubber band engine.

Thanks for the reality adjustment,

Colin Keizer
Fall City, WA
Re: Has Anybody Flown A SHAPEWAYS Printed Airplane? [message #31782 is a reply to message #31777 ] Fri, 29 July 2011 07:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
That Soton Uni airplane from design start to first flight was 7 days, the plane was made in multiple pieces that snap fitted together, the total budget for the plane including electrics and autopilot was £5000 (GBP) - the project is basically showing how quickly a UAV can be bought to life.

Designing a 3D printed glider is somting I've had serious thoughts about... my method would be to print the wings and fuselage as spars (wireframe) and then cover the spars to make the surfaces using tissue paper & dope (similar to article here)

For wing section profiles, FoilSim is very handy.

Re: Has Anybody Flown A SHAPEWAYS Printed Airplane? [message #31888 is a reply to message #31773 ] Sun, 31 July 2011 13:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pauljs75  is currently offline pauljs75
Go to my shop
I think it's possible within reason. It doesn't look like it would be easy to do something like a full 3-D performance airplane. Materials meant for display pieces and prototyping don't seem like they'd be up to that. Something like a typical park flyer seems quite possible though.

Quote:

I wonder if it is possible to print a big enough model within the SHAPEWAYS printing parameters to generate enough lift to overcome the mass of the necessary structure, controls, battery and motor(s)?

BTW, I think people are overestimating spec. If you've ever seen any "foamy flyers" the receiver, servos, motor, and LiPo batteries on one with full controls likely weighs less than the mouse you're using at your desktop. That particular hardware will not be a large contributor to the weight issue. Thus the weight limitations will depend on what you want to do with the aircraft and how it is structured.

Keep it small and light without much in regards to discernible payload, and the real challenge would be to see how cheap a 3D printed airframe for a flyable aircraft could be made.
Re: Has Anybody Flown A SHAPEWAYS Printed Airplane? [message #31937 is a reply to message #31777 ] Mon, 01 August 2011 22:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Smaller airplane printed by SW http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumbgallery.php?t=1455808&am p;do=threadgallery A lot cheaper than the university one, just some hundred dollars with all other parts included.
Re: Has Anybody Flown A SHAPEWAYS Printed Airplane? [message #31941 is a reply to message #31937 ] Mon, 01 August 2011 23:51 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Now that looks good. I'll probably try a featherweight model first, like the tiny indoor flyers. That's because I'm cheap. I sure do like the robust appearance of the electric Hellcat....

Colin

Previous Topic:Rubber Band Ring
Next Topic:Who's design is this?