Home » Community » General Discussion » I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31550 is a reply to message #31548 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 05:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jwladd  is currently offline jwladd
Go to all my models
They won't cost you that much, in fact you and the guys who discussed it with me get a free one, I guarantee it. Just save this email.
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31581 is a reply to message #31548 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 18:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Fox news (Sasha who wrote the story about that the Roman Dodecahedron would likely remain a mystery) just called me...should go live today I believe.
icon14.gif  Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31583 is a reply to message #31581 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 18:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
A WARNING TO SHAPEWAYS--YOUR SERVERS MIGHT TAKE A HEAVY BURDEN. Fox news just grilled me on my theory and I answered all their questions. I think they might run with the story immediately!
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31594 is a reply to message #31583 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 20:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BAROBA  is currently offline BAROBA
Go to my shop
My advise is a Dutch expression, and goes like this ; Schoenmaker, blijf bij je leest.
It means : keep doing what you are good at.
From the information that I find about you, it tells me that you are a skilled engineer in the field of electro-mechanics.

But really? Using a Roman piece of work to persuade people to give you money? Let the obsession go and built a 3d scanner that scans just the outside, color-info is nice.
But really colorinfo for the inside? You don"t know anything about 3d printing do you?
Color, or inkt is only a few layers deep into a object, so if you would cut open your 3d scanned-printed object, most of the inside would be white.
Oh, and you fancy colored internal would be filled with with powder.
I let your group of PhD's figure that one out.

Why not make it round? It would make things simpler.
And for everyone's sake, drop the Roman angle.
Make a seperate page somewhere else, because this DESTROYS your credibility.

Oh ,get the girl some clothes, loose the hat, loose the student pictures and get of your high horse.

That you second in command proved the collapse of the universe is nothing special, it has been proved many times before.Each time with different conditions, ever since the discovery that the universe expended.

Cheers,

Rob
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31608 is a reply to message #31594 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 21:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Baroba,

can you tell me a bit about your background. I am getting a lot of interesting advices here (and as far as the powder goes, that is something technology will overcome ---always think 5 years into the future--my inventions of 2004 are best-in-class in 2011). This Roman angle is being considered the best marketing machine (according to my marketing team) they have ever seen.

It is cool everybody giving their advices from the hip, but it would be also nice to know what kind of marketing, engineering, or technical experience they have so I could take this into account in their advising.

As far as have my Phds work on it, I led the team of Phd's for 8 years to keep Aptina on the forefront of pixel performance. I was ranked #1 in the group. I don't need them to lead me. I run the show technically.

It is cool though to give feedback, but as far as marketing goes, I would like you to explain how getting millions of hits to my website hurts my business practices.

If 3d printing is not up to handling my files, then it will have to be improved. It is called technology interception--you design the invention today that will be enabled by the technologies of tomorrow. Having dozen if countless times, and putting them all succesfully into production, I have a grasp of these things.

John
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31609 is a reply to message #31594 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 21:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Rob,

if you are seriously going to discount a man who has two Phds (one in super-string theory from Stanford), I would like to know your background.

John
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31610 is a reply to message #31594 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 21:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
It is also you are not even famiar with rule #1 in marketing ($ex sales). Tell the Romans they should have worn more clothes. Some tribes wear no clothes, some countries are cool with less clothes, and some are uptight. Can't please everybody. I think my marketing guys in Silicon Valley (which by the way is considered the most innovative city on the planet) have a better grasp then you do.
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31611 is a reply to message #31594 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 21:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey all, I'm going to have to ask everyone to cool things down on this thread a bit.

@jwladd It's not really clear what you mean when you state that you're "partnering" with Shapeways. I'd like to talk about this with you outside the forum. PM sent.

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31613 is a reply to message #31611 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 21:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I am going to remove my partnership offers with Shapeways and redirect to a competitor. Thanks, John
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31614 is a reply to message #31613 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 21:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
This thread is getting better by the minute Smile
Takes out the pop-corn
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31615 is a reply to message #31614 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 21:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
You guys just lost an order for 10k to 20k units and advertising revenue for your competitor is going to be very strong. I play hardball in business and don't deal with incompetence.
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31619 is a reply to message #31501 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 22:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
10k orders of what?
You "sell" a scanner, not a mind-controllng device....
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31620 is a reply to message #31619 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 22:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I was going to purchase 10k units to build scanning device. But I realized that shapeways is not a community of inventors that I wanted to work with. It is a community of armchair criticizers who sit on their asses. I have much better companies to spend my time with. You probably just lost a million dollars and gave a huge boost to your competition. Peace out and good luck.
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31650 is a reply to message #31550 ] Wed, 27 July 2011 14:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CStark  is currently offline CStark
Go to all my models
Rolling Eyes

In sure they're real sorry to "lose a business tycoon from the wild west"
Re: I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!! [message #31652 is a reply to message #31501 ] Wed, 27 July 2011 14:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Ok guys, discussion over. I'm locking it up. Let's try not to be so critical of ideas in the future, no matter how radical you feel they are.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Pages (2): [ «    1  2] 

Previous Topic:How to print in colors when mesh has been decimated
Next Topic:Measuring an object

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.