Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » General Discussion » How to print in colors when mesh has been decimated
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to print in colors when mesh has been decimated [message #31589] Tue, 26 July 2011 19:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar Bhaskarrac  is currently offline Bhaskarrac
Go to all my models
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if anyone has got a colored print of any character recently. I created a character in Zbrush and since I was sculpting in 1 million tris, I have to get that decimated to bring down under 64 mb size.

Problem is I am not sure if I have polypainted anything, it will be intact on the decimated mesh. I dont want to work on the mesh/ topology again to texture that 3dsmax or photoshop, as it will be too time consuming.

Please help if anyone has got a good colored print, I would be certainly thankful.
Re: How to print in colors when mesh has been decimated [message #31596 is a reply to message #31589 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 20:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BAROBA  is currently offline BAROBA
Go to my shop
You should contact shapeways directly at service@shapeways.com

The trick is to make a cube with the same volume as your mesh.
They will assist you further.
Cheers,

Rob
Re: How to print in colors when mesh has been decimated [message #31599 is a reply to message #31596 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 20:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks Rob,

I was looking from the user's point of view also, so that anything time saving or to say experienced way can be explored.
Looks like I ve contact the customer service only.

I looked through the tutorials in Shapeway, but it was way too basic to understand from the character's angle. It was showing a texture projected on a box only.

Regards,
Bhaskar

Re: How to print in colors when mesh has been decimated [message #31604 is a reply to message #31599 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 21:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BAROBA  is currently offline BAROBA
Go to my shop
I assume you have textured you 1 million polygon model?
You can bake the texture into the vertexmap in Zbrush.
I don't how the vertexmap will go thru decimate, so you need to experiment with that.
I think you can save as color-stl, and upload that to shapeways.

If you have a separate texturemap, and want to use it instead of the vertexmap ( which has less then perfect results)
Then you need it to save it as vrml 2.0

You need to edit the vrml file and remove 'file:///' before your uvmap-name. For example: beast.jpg is referenced as
file:///beast.jpg
change it to:
beast.jpg

You will need to have the uvmap and your vrml-model in one zip-file.

Textured objects are a pain in the behind to work with and will take some trail and error to get right, good luck

Rob

Re: How to print in colors when mesh has been decimated [message #31638 is a reply to message #31604 ] Wed, 27 July 2011 07:41 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thanks Rob.

Yes polypaint is the method of painting on the vertices.
So I am not sure how it will effect when so many vertices will be removed after decimation.

I need to check around and play with my software.

Thanks for your help, I ll put up more queries if anything I may come across.

Previous Topic:Experiments in cleaning FUD
Next Topic:I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!!