Home » Support » 3D Applications » Sketchup file conversions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sketchup file conversions [message #30798] Wed, 13 July 2011 14:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar mccoigf  is currently offline mccoigf
Go to all my models
I am trying to convert a file. I created a design in Sketchup8 and I've put in a plugin to allow it to go out as a .dae file and I tried to upload this. However the dimensions seem to be out by a factor of 100 odd. In fact I it doesn't seem to be a multiple of 10 but something else altogether. It was done in millimeters originally. Does anyone have a solid method for converting the files so the measurements remain intact? It is pretty important that it is the precise size. Thanks...
Re: Sketchup file conversions [message #30800 is a reply to message #30798 ] Wed, 13 July 2011 14:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Hi mccoigf, welcome to Shapeways Cool

I use Sketchup, but never .dae for 3D printing - I've had the best luck with .stl and use this plugin. Hope that helps!

-Marcus
Re: Sketchup file conversions [message #31430 is a reply to message #30798 ] Sun, 24 July 2011 04:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar cassel  is currently offline cassel
Go to all my models
I also had problems with scale. My model is based on a cube measuring 1m per side in Sketchup, but came out as 359 cm per side via the 'skp_to_dxf.rb' plugin. Dunno why.

I got much better results using the STL for Sketchup (stl4su.rb) plugin found via the forum here, as it seemed to give stl files that matched the scale of Sketchup.

Previous Topic:Units in Autodesk Maya
Next Topic:Convert Image to Mesh-- how's it done?