Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » Silver print resolution
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Silver print resolution [message #31332] Fri, 22 July 2011 07:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar bars3d  is currently offline bars3d
Go to all my models
Hello to everyone!

I was very excited to receive the silver thingy (charm for a Pandora bracelet) I ordered quite some time ago. I was however disappointed a bit with the resolution. Could people with more experience in silver prints tell me whether this is normal resolution or there was something wrong with my print. To give an idea about the size of the thingy, the inner diameter is 5mm, the height is 10mm.

You can actually see the the layers on the inner diameter. From what I counted there are approximately 40 layers across 5mm, which results in 125micron resolution (5 times lower than mentioned here).

Also I am thinking about buying one of those flex shaft machines jewelers use in their shops. From what I gathered, it may be used for polishing and finishing. Does anyone have experience with those?

Thanks!

http://stickyfilez.com/shapeways/charmig.jpg

• Attachment: _MG_9840.jpg
    (Size: 204.37KB, Downloaded 130 time(s))

[Updated on: Sat, 23 July 2011 05:36 UTC]

Re: Silver print resolution [message #31333 is a reply to message #31332 ] Fri, 22 July 2011 08:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar caesar  is currently offline caesar
Go to all my models
hmm you sure thats silver at all? All other silver prints I've seen here look way different, they dont have any golden shiny parts your print has.
Another issue are the holes in the surface, so it looks very rough, the other silver items don't have these, too.

Can you show a picture of the source 3D model?
Re: Silver print resolution [message #31334 is a reply to message #31333 ] Fri, 22 July 2011 08:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Pretty sure it's silver. The gold shiny parts are due to improper lighting, sorry about that. The part itself doesn't have a color.

The design:
http://stickyfilez.com/shapeways/charmik_design.jpg

Re: Silver print resolution [message #31335 is a reply to message #31334 ] Fri, 22 July 2011 08:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar caesar  is currently offline caesar
Go to all my models
Wired, the surface looks very rough (on the print), that aint pretty at all, your model is very smooth.
I'm currently designing a pendant for producing in silver, that has some smooth waves in it like your model.
In WSF the test print came out well but if it will look as rough as your print I wount order that in silver.

well lets see what the shapeways guys say hopefully it can be improved.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 July 2011 08:57 UTC]

Re: Silver print resolution [message #31360 is a reply to message #31335 ] Fri, 22 July 2011 19:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
Hi -- I had a great result with my only glossy silver print (model here). This is about 4x the size of your object, 3.9cm in the longest dimension, but the tiny details should be comparable and printed very well. Perhaps some variability in the process. Will be interesting to see what the SW folks say.

Did you order silver or silver glossy? The polishing likely makes a major difference.

index.php?t=getfile&id=10097&private=0

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Re: Silver print resolution [message #31362 is a reply to message #31360 ] Fri, 22 July 2011 19:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I saw your print before. Looks super awesome!!!
I ordered silver glossy, so it's supposed to be polished.
Obviously, I didn't expect the inner diameter to be shiny, but I did expect outer surface to be much smoother.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 July 2011 19:58 UTC]

Re: Silver print resolution [message #31364 is a reply to message #31362 ] Fri, 22 July 2011 20:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks! Yeah, then I'm with you, I would expect your piece to be substantially more polished. Looks like your model is well-suited to pretty aggressive polishing, no risk of knocking off bits, so not sure why it wouldn't get a great gloss.

------------------
Re: Silver print resolution [message #31367 is a reply to message #31332 ] Fri, 22 July 2011 22:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways info page on silver states this:

"The premium material Silver which is for 92.5% pure silver is made in a proprietary two-step process. Specialized software and printing algorithms produces silver parts in thin layers with a resolution of 25 micron pixels. The results are silver parts with unmatched surface smoothness and details that exceed any other rapid fabrication process of metal parts.

The products are created using the lost-wax casting process using a high-resolution 3D Wax print of your design. After printing the wax model will be cast in silver and finished to get a shiny surface. We provide two levels of finishing: standard and glossy. Please note that only well-reachable surfaces can be polished! "

I'm confused. The first para states the models are made by printing in thin layers like the other materials, but the second para states that a HR wax print is made and then cast in silver... So which is it? YOUR piece is definitely made using the first process. "unmatched surface smoothness" this does NOT have.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Silver print resolution [message #31369 is a reply to message #31367 ] Fri, 22 July 2011 22:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Would be really great to get a comment from the Shapeways staff. Is there a way to draw their attention to a particular forum thread?
Re: Silver print resolution [message #31370 is a reply to message #31369 ] Fri, 22 July 2011 22:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
In my experience, they're watching, and will comment eventually. If you want a reply now, write to service@shapeways.com, and they will be all over it; the forum is primarily a place to seek community input.

@lensman: there's only one silver printing process, the lost-wax process. I agree that the wording is misleading: "producing silver parts in thin layers" very much leads one to believe that there is a printer laying down silver. There is not. It is a wax printer, followed by casting.

Shapeways folks: consider the wording "Specialized software and printing algorithms produce wax objects in thin layers with a resolution of 25 micron pixels. The resulting wax print is used to cast a silver object. The resulting casts have unmatched surface smoothness and details that exceed any other rapid fabrication process of metal parts."

[Updated on: Sat, 23 July 2011 00:37 UTC]

------------------
Re: Silver print resolution [message #31371 is a reply to message #31332 ] Fri, 22 July 2011 23:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes, that last para makes much more sense...

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Silver print resolution [message #31449 is a reply to message #31371 ] Sun, 24 July 2011 14:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
dadrummond is totally right!

We do watch the forums, but if you want us to comment on a question, please email us to service@shapeways.com

At the moment I'm checking the forums in my free time, so I can't check your file and ask the printing department what happend.

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Silver print resolution [message #31503 is a reply to message #31332 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 00:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cadalu  is currently offline cadalu
Go to all my models
Did you find out from CS if this was a printing error or not?

I haven't ordered any silver prints yet but I love viewing everyone's prints in the forums. I saw this same issue pop up on an earlier thread. Curious to hear how this was resolved...
Re: Silver print resolution [message #31504 is a reply to message #31503 ] Tue, 26 July 2011 00:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I e-mailed them, still waiting for the response. I will post it as soon as I get it.
Re: Silver print resolution [message #33543 is a reply to message #31504 ] Tue, 30 August 2011 04:50 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Update: After I talked to one of the Shapeways team members I got an e-mail that my order is on the way and couple of days ago I received a new print. Definitely looks much better than the first one Smile Not sure what this yellow thingy is though.

On the picture: a) design; b) first print; c) second print.

Thank you Shapeways Smile)

• Attachment: charm.jpg
    (Size: 333.08KB, Downloaded 192 time(s))

Previous Topic:LEGO Hylian Shield
Next Topic:Got my first two items - strange differences!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.