Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Black Detail Cleaning
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Black Detail Cleaning [message #31238] Wed, 20 July 2011 22:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi guys, I may be helping out with a last minute Black Detail cleaning job for a friend. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to go about it? Methods, cleaning solutions, whatever...

Thanks Smile

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Black Detail Cleaning [message #31239 is a reply to message #31238 ] Wed, 20 July 2011 23:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Soak it in caustic soda, for abou 20 minutes to get rid of the support material. Then you can use fine wet and dry if there is any stepping.

If you don't like the idea of caustic sode you can use ammonia, but it will take longer to work.

Bill Bedford
Re: Black Detail Cleaning [message #31240 is a reply to message #31239 ] Wed, 20 July 2011 23:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Ah, thanks Bill! Is this something you've tried before?

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Black Detail Cleaning [message #31242 is a reply to message #31240 ] Wed, 20 July 2011 23:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Yep. I had one batch of detail that still had all the support sttuff left on, yeuch horrible stuff........

[Updated on: Wed, 20 July 2011 23:33 UTC]

Bill Bedford
Re: Black Detail Cleaning [message #31273 is a reply to message #31240 ] Thu, 21 July 2011 07:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
+1 to caustic soda (sodium hydroxide/lye), make the water slightly warm and the support material disolves away, you might need to give small detail areas a scrub with an old toothbrush though.

Previous Topic:Threading
Next Topic:Painting Dice

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.