Home » Community » General Discussion » Best way to glue FUD?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Best way to glue FUD? [message #31044] Mon, 18 July 2011 02:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar CGD  is currently offline CGD
Go to my shop
In an attempt to put together FUD parts, I notice that CA or Super glue took much longer to cure. I use Aron Alpha 201 (a new bottle) which instantly sticks my fingers together, took almost a minute for it to become sticky when applied to FUD. And took even longer for it to set solid.

Anybody has similar experience? Or any other recommendation on glues?

CGD
Re: Best way to glue FUD? [message #31058 is a reply to message #31044 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 08:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Did you degrease the surface of the pieces you were trying to glue? My experience is that there is a waxy layer on the surface of FUD which need to be cleaned off before the glue takes. Even so the glue joints on small pieces seem a bit 'fragile'.

Bill Bedford
Re: Best way to glue FUD? [message #31059 is a reply to message #31058 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 08:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
BillBedford wrote on Mon, 18 July 2011 08:14

Did you degrease the surface of the pieces you were trying to glue? My experience is that there is a waxy layer on the surface of FUD which need to be cleaned off before the glue takes. Even so the glue joints on small pieces seem a bit 'fragile'.

This waxy layer should not be present inside the material, right? Most of the time I'm trying to glue break off parts, like gluing a broken shaft 3mm thick the other day. With ordinary acrylic, the bond between break off surfaces would be immediate. But the FUD, like I said, the CA glue remains watery for a long time before becoming slightly sticky.

And yes, the joints remains fragile and I have to apply reinforcement.
Re: Best way to glue FUD? [message #31074 is a reply to message #31059 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 11:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar abby  is currently offline abby
Go to all my models
Similar experience with curing silicone moulds !
Re: Best way to glue FUD? [message #31075 is a reply to message #31074 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 12:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
abby wrote on Mon, 18 July 2011 11:46

Similar experience with curing silicone moulds !

You mean using FUD as master? Shocked
Re: Best way to glue FUD? [message #31076 is a reply to message #31075 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 12:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar roundmountaingroup  is currently offline roundmountaingroup
Go to my shop
What de-waxing/de-greasing methods are people having success with on FUD?

- Lou

Re: Best way to glue FUD? [message #31083 is a reply to message #31076 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 13:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar abby  is currently offline abby
Go to all my models
I have had several parts made in both detail and ultra fine detail , these are master patterns for lost wax casting and I take silicone rubber moulds from them.
I have cleaned them in cellulose thinner , alcohol and strong detergent , all applied vigorously with a tooth brush but I still get sticky uncured spots in the moulds,
Physical scraping with a fine scalpel removes a large amount of extraneous material , which occurs on vertical faces , but I have found that 3 coats of spray paint is the only way to prevent this poisoning of the rubber.
I am currently looking at other rubber types in the hope of solving what for me has taken the edge of an otherwise excellent RP product.
I have one other cleaning product to yet try , this is a wax pattern polish , several types are available through various suppliers , and it dissolves wax.
I don't want to try this until I have a good mould however just in case it dissolves the pattern. Shocked

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2011 13:46 UTC]

Re: Best way to glue FUD? [message #31087 is a reply to message #31076 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 14:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Any good degreaser, try your local car shop (Halfords if you are in the UK)

Bill Bedford
Re: Best way to glue FUD? [message #31088 is a reply to message #31083 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 14:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
abby wrote on Mon, 18 July 2011 13:44

I have had several parts made in both detail and ultra fine detail , these are master patterns for lost wax casting and I take silicone rubber moulds from them.
I have cleaned them in cellulose thinner , alcohol and strong detergent , all applied vigorously with a tooth brush but I still get sticky uncured spots in the moulds,

I think you need to soak the part in whatever cleaner you are going to use, especially if it is at all intricate.
I have had some of these parts supplied (not by Shapeways) that had been covered in coconut oil, presumably to dissolve to wax while the parts were being delivered.

Bill Bedford
Re: Best way to glue FUD? [message #31091 is a reply to message #31083 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 14:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
abby wrote on Mon, 18 July 2011 13:44

Physical scraping with a fine scalpel removes a large amount of extraneous material , which occurs on vertical faces , but I have found that 3 coats of spray paint is the only way to prevent this poisoning of the rubber.
I am currently looking at other rubber types in the hope of solving what for me has taken the edge of an otherwise excellent RP product.
I have one other cleaning product to yet try , this is a wax pattern polish , several types are available through various suppliers , and it dissolves wax.
I don't want to try this until I have a good mould however just in case it dissolves the pattern. Shocked

I am curious to know if it is the wax that is causing the silicone rubber to not cure. If it is the FUD material that is causing this, wax removing will be useless.

I also notice that enamel paint will not dry on FUD surface. (Well, I only wash the piece with detergent and water.)

I have been using wax as master pattern for a long time and haven't encounter retardation of curing of silicone rubber. However, silicone rubber left on double sided tapes that held the mold walls together never cure.

I dig this up from the web:
http://www.tekcast.com/pages.php?pID=4
Re: Best way to glue FUD? [message #31094 is a reply to message #31091 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 15:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I use wax (my kids crayons or candles, whatever is to hand) to act as a mould release when winding coils for alternators - I've never had a problem with the CA used to set the wire (fed in every so often as the coil grows on a winder).

Also, with my recent OO scale phone boxes in FUD, I scrub cleaned the FUD with a stiff paintbruch and nail varnish remover, follwed by a 'drop-n-nuke' in watered down washing up liquid microwaved for a bit, rinsed & dried... once dry, sprayed with Tamiya fine surface primer and painted after using Humbrol enamels. The only areas not to take paint were the bits I didn't quite get clean enough.

Re: Best way to glue FUD? [message #31096 is a reply to message #31094 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 15:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
Someone in the post production forum had great results leaving there model on the car dash on a sunny day with paper underneath to soak up the wax. I have not tried this yet but will be as soon as my newest FUD models come in the mail. Which I am told may be a month because I ordered a model with polished WSF also.

Shapeways SOS
http://qrh.me/*SSOS

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/

Previous Topic:Final Negotiations on FD/FUD
Next Topic:Any of the materials safe for food?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.