Home » Community » General Discussion » UPS sucks!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
UPS sucks! [message #30636] Mon, 11 July 2011 18:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Is there any way that Shapeways can give users an option (a checkbox on ordering) to ONLY ship all items together once all are printed (barring any lengthy delays in certain materials).

The reason I ask is that UPS is killing me with their fees. Take a look at this order: 4 s/s pendants for a value of $45.70 and two polished WSF models at $7.01

These were shipped separately in two packages. The UPS fees for the s/s totalled $17.15 and the pWSF fees were $14.73!! That's TWICE the value of the contents!!

I can't help but feel that if all had been shipped together the fees would have been at least somewhat less.

The GST on all these items totalled $6.85 which I can live with, but on top of that was another $25.03 !!

Ideally, I would like Shapeways to have another option to ship other than UPS.

What makes it worse is there is no consistency. I have at times arrived home to find packages at the door with no fees due. Sometimes I'm home and there are no fees. And then I get packages like this...

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: UPS sucks! [message #30663 is a reply to message #30636 ] Tue, 12 July 2011 02:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
I am guessing by the mention of GST you are in Canada also. UPS is dirt cheap if the package is under $50 and comes by air. No charges. However if it comes by ground they do usually tack on a service fee like you are seeing.

I the value of the package is below $50 they don't usually charge tax.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: UPS sucks! [message #30666 is a reply to message #30636 ] Tue, 12 July 2011 02:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hhm, I haven't experienced this. Occasionally with packages less than $25 if there's no metal, I have found that (but not always), but take a look at my example here: two plastic pieces with a value of $7.01 and I'm being charged $14.73 by UPS!

Shapeways: If mctrivia's statement is true could you advise if you have now started different shipping practises to Canada. With your New York operation perhaps you are now making in the US and shipping by land to Canada whereas before you would have shipped by air from the Netherlands...

If these high fees are going to now be consistent I am going to have to review just how much further I'm going to get involved with Shapeways. I'm in this ultimately as a part-time business, not just to get models made for my own pleasure, and if my meager profits are going to be eaten up by UPS fees then why bother...

Glenn

Re: UPS sucks! [message #30669 is a reply to message #30666 ] Tue, 12 July 2011 03:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I try to never buy stuff from the US. shipping is to expensive. I can get my electronic circuit boards custom made in China and shipped to my door for less then the shipping cost and customs from getting it made in the US let alone the fact that US shops are 3 times as expensive. They are likely shipping by ground from the US now. Which does suck because I have enjoyed having my packages arrive with no service fees owing and will also have to reconsider my orders if this is a risk.

USPS to Canada is very reliable and cheap. Down side is it takes 2 weeks. Maybe shapeways should start consider doing this.

As an alternative a lot of companies open a small office in Canada and ship large boundels of packages to Canada then use Canada post or UPS to distribute within the country. Weather this is feasible to shapeways really depends on how many Canadian customers you have.

Interestingly by Canadian law if a package contains 99.9% pure precious metal or better it is exempt from tax. So shapeways if silver meets this please mark this on the package.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 July 2011 03:14 UTC]

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: UPS sucks! [message #30693 is a reply to message #30669 ] Tue, 12 July 2011 11:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
mctrivia wrote on Tue, 12 July 2011 03:13

As an alternative a lot of companies open a small office in Canada and ship large boundels of packages to Canada then use Canada post or UPS to distribute within the country. Weather this is feasible to shapeways really depends on how many Canadian customers you have.

Interestingly by Canadian law if a package contains 99.9% pure precious metal or better it is exempt from tax. So shapeways if silver meets this please mark this on the package.

I ilke the Canadian office idea... and good question as to how many Canadian customers they have.

I also feel that whatever Shapeways marks on the customs clearance affects how much I get charged and this does change. I'm not sure if Shapeways is testing this but I think it bears close scrutiny. For example my $14 fees on a $7 package was marked "Toys" on the clearance. *Maybe* if it was marked "Plastic prototype" or some such wording that might affect it? I know for sure if it's marked "Gift" that makes a difference but SW doesn't or can't do that.

Glenn

Re: UPS sucks! [message #30695 is a reply to message #30636 ] Tue, 12 July 2011 12:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar glehn  is currently offline glehn
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Mon, 11 July 2011 18:18

What makes it worse is there is no consistency. I have at times arrived home to find packages at the door with no fees due. Sometimes I'm home and there are no fees. And then I get packages like this...

I'm in Brazil and here it is very consistent. I have to pay the fees every time.
So, I also would like to have an option to ship all items of an order in a single parcel.
Unlike many here, I only do this as a hobby, so I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer to receive my orders through regular mail.

Regards,
Luis
Re: UPS sucks! [message #30697 is a reply to message #30695 ] Tue, 12 July 2011 12:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey Guys,

We are not shipping from New York office outside of the US yet.

Thanks for letting us know if you are having problems with UPS fees, it is not something we are aware of unless you tell us, and unfortunately something we cannot control..

Cheers

Duann Scott

Re: UPS sucks! [message #30708 is a reply to message #30693 ] Tue, 12 July 2011 15:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Tue, 12 July 2011 11:52

I also feel that whatever Shapeways marks on the customs clearance affects how much I get charged and this does change. I'm not sure if Shapeways is testing this but I think it bears close scrutiny. For example my $14 fees on a $7 package was marked "Toys" on the clearance. *Maybe* if it was marked "Plastic prototype" or some such wording that might affect it? I know for sure if it's marked "Gift" that makes a difference but SW doesn't or can't do that.

Glenn

The ammount of tax you pay to the government does change depending on what the label says. As I said precious metals are tax free. some things have higer import taxes. I only have experience with importing electronics but I can say with sertenty only GST and PST apply to electronics.

As for UPS fees. I know they charge extra for ground delivery. But I do not know if there is any other criteria. I have had many different chemicals(some even explosive - funny UPS guy always leaves these hidden somewhere around my place if I am not home. Guess he does not know the bang would not even consume the box it is in.), components and products shipped to my house but most of these have been done from Canadian or Chinese companies who know all the write paperwork to fill out.

Still an option to hold to ship all together is a good idea. Will save shapeways shipping charges if people use. SO there is no lose to shapeways.

May I suggest a system like digikey has.

Ship all packages together unless a part will take more then [x] days where x is a value the user can put in. If you set value to 0 by default you don't even need the checkbox things will just be the same as usual unless changed.

Re: UPS sucks! [message #30787 is a reply to message #30708 ] Wed, 13 July 2011 11:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
mctrivia wrote on Tue, 12 July 2011 15:09

Ship all packages together unless a part will take more then [x] days where x is a value the user can put in. If you set value to 0 by default you don't even need the checkbox things will just be the same as usual unless changed.

Yes, I think this may be the only way we can somewhat control costs if Shapeways is not willing to look at other shipping options...

Another plus is that it sometimes gets confusing when the orders are split... having to keep track of what has arrived and what hasn't.

Glenn

Re: UPS sucks! [message #30868 is a reply to message #30636 ] Thu, 14 July 2011 20:36 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
So here we go with another inconsistency: I received another order yesterday. Plastic parts valued at $6.55 and there were NO UPS fees. Why? The only difference was that Shapeways had put "Plastic Goods" on the customs clearance as opposed to "Toys"

Glenn

Previous Topic:Which way to orient parts to minimize surface roughness?
Next Topic:shapeways creator