Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » What glue to use for WSF to s/steel?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30460] Fri, 08 July 2011 11:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Has anyone had any experience gluing WSF (or any other acrylic/plastic) to stainless steel?

Just wondering what would be the best to use for a really strong bond (jewellery use).

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30648 is a reply to message #30460 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 20:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Have a hunt for 'Devcon' and 'jewelry' (UK = jewellery), I've seen some of Devcon's clear epoxies are useful for jewellery making - you'd need to scuff up any smooth surfaces for the epoxy to grab to.

Re: What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30649 is a reply to message #30460 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 20:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks. Can't say that I've heard of that before. I'll see if I can find it in Canada.

Glenn

Re: What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30655 is a reply to message #30649 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 22:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
I have never found 2 materials that wouldn't bond well with E-6000.

Make sure you use it in a well ventilation room.

The toxic fumes are how you know it is working. Wink

Seriously though, any hobby store should have it, and it is STRONG!

Lincoln

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2011 22:10 UTC]

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30661 is a reply to message #30460 ] Tue, 12 July 2011 01:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks. I was on a jewellery (jewelry!) forum recently and that was mentioned also as a very good choice.

Glenn

Re: What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30854 is a reply to message #30661 ] Thu, 14 July 2011 14:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar merana33  is currently offline merana33
Go to all my models
My usual 'go to' resource for questions like this is http://www.thistothat.com/.

They recomend using an epoxy, which I would agree with. The porus nature of WSF will allow the epoxy to 'soak in' to the WSF and get a good solid hold.

Normally I'm a huge fan of E-6000, but I've found that on smooth, hard surfaces it can peel off if subjected to sideways force.

So if your S/Steel surface is nice and smooth I'd use an epoxy, but if it's rough enough to allow E-6000 to get a good grip that may be your better bet.
Re: What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30856 is a reply to message #30460 ] Thu, 14 July 2011 15:02 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the advice and that great link...

Glenn

Previous Topic:best material for key ring?
Next Topic:Any Advice on Decorative Chrome / Vacuum Metalizing for WSF?