Home » Community » It arrived! » Talismans and Amulets
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Talismans and Amulets [message #30589] Mon, 11 July 2011 05:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar MaxSMoke777  is currently offline MaxSMoke777
Go to my shop
I've been working on all kinds of Amulets lately, thanks to Shapeways quality Silver prints. I've even managed to mount my first gemstone myself. Here's some pics...

The Enlightened Pendant
(Front)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6056/5914135508_80bc0fea1e_b.jpg

The Enlightened Pendant (Back)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6008/5913574037_578867e0a2_b.jpg

I ordered the gemstone from Gem Select, it's a 5.31mm Color-Change Diaspore. It goes from Green to Yellow, depending on the lighting conditions. The great thing about that website is the accurate photos, and the measurements, which are accurate within 0.01 of a Millimeter. Before I even had the gemstone in hand, I replicated it's shape and side on my computer and carefully built the pendant around it to fit perfectly.

First I got the Pendant printed out in Frosted Detail, which has roughly the same detail level as Silver. Once I could see that the gemstone fit perfectly, I made some improvements to the model and ordered the Silver version. I added little pegs for holding in the Gem.

Each Peg is about 2mm long, 1.2mm wide, but only 0.8mm think. It looks like I nailed the thickness perfectly, as the pegs all bent over without cracking or breaking off, and they are holding the gemstone in place very nicely. I used the edge of a metal thumbdrive to carefully bend them over without putting much pressure on the stone itself. Didn't want to break the stone.

The Backside has the words "Open Minds Opens Eyes" embossed around the gemstone. I love the hidden stuff!

I also got these metal prints back for my Mad Face...

Mad Face
(Printed in Polished Gold Plate, Polish Bronze, and Steel)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5031/5907346520_ea508e87f8.jpg

Mad Face (Backside)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6052/5906791645_94cf2e3cb0.jpg

The inscription reads "Vox Penitus Hortor", which is "Voice Innermost Exhort", or basically, "Tell People What You Think!".

I'm on the fence about necklace mounting options. In the case of the Enlightened Pendant, it's so small, I designed it to be used with a Split Ring, so it's not attached to the necklace directly. With the Mad Face, it's larger Hoop can allow for direct Necklace threading, so it comes in two versions; One version for Split Rings, and one version for direct hanging.

Mad Face (Needs Split Ring)

Mad Face (Doesn't need Split Ring)

One of the nice things about making Pendants over rings is that you don't have to worry so much about comfort or the size of the finger. One size fits all, and rough edges won't hurt the wearer as much!

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2011 06:03 UTC]

Re: Talismans and Amulets [message #30598 is a reply to message #30589 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 07:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MuseumofSmallThings  is currently offline MuseumofSmallThings
Go to my shop
Very nice, I love the Mad Face pendant. I personally like the direct hanging version.

Leigh

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/most
icon14.gif  Re: Talismans and Amulets [message #30607 is a reply to message #30598 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 12:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Great work! Thanks for sharing your workflow Smile

Trouble using SketchUp? Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp" - http://bit.ly/1jQ4RtV
Re: Talismans and Amulets [message #30619 is a reply to message #30589 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 15:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bdeaver  is currently offline bdeaver
Go to my shop
That's a cool design and well thought out work flow. Did you do silver rather than stainless steel because of wall thickness? I haven't tried any of the metals, but I'm guessing that the rings on top of your pendant would be less than the 3mm wall thickness required for stainless steel. I'm having that issue with some of my designs but I haven't ordered a test model yet. If you have any experience with that, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

bobd
Re: Talismans and Amulets [message #30620 is a reply to message #30619 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 15:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bdeaver  is currently offline bdeaver
Go to my shop
Oops...I was referring to the winged jewel pendant and didn't see the others. I see that you did some steel in the talisman designs. How thick are the rings on top of those? Thanks.

bobd
Re: Talismans and Amulets [message #30623 is a reply to message #30619 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 15:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Awesome stuff MaxSMoke777!

@bdeaver - I did get away with a 0.9mm dia wire for a ring on stainless once, but your mileage may vary, its worth checking out the Advanced Stainless Steel rules for more info.
Re: Talismans and Amulets [message #30977 is a reply to message #30589 ] Sat, 16 July 2011 07:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways *REALLY* needs to offer Patina-ing of the Silver items. Check out how dramatically better the Enlightened Pendant looks with a little artificial tarnish and polishing. Bare in mind that this is something Shapeways could do, with little to no effort, during the Silver Polishing phase...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6012/5941966309_18738dca41.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/5942526224_417c0dce98.jpg

[Updated on: Sat, 16 July 2011 08:07 UTC]

Re: Talismans and Amulets [message #30999 is a reply to message #30977 ] Sun, 17 July 2011 02:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HappenstanceHeroes  is currently offline HappenstanceHeroes
Go to my shop
Didn't really know how I felt about the enlightened pendant before, but the post processing there really did enhance its appeal greatly. Nice work! I've been thinking about eventually designing one-of-a-kind prints based around specific uniquely-shaped gemstones, so that website you linked to is nice to have on file.
Re: Talismans and Amulets [message #31738 is a reply to message #30999 ] Thu, 28 July 2011 17:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Happenstance Heroes wrote on Sun, 17 July 2011 02:58

Didn't really know how I felt about the enlightened pendant before, but the post processing there really did enhance its appeal greatly. Nice work! I've been thinking about eventually designing one-of-a-kind prints based around specific uniquely-shaped gemstones, so that website you linked to is nice to have on file.

I agree with that... artbeads.com is also a good resource for jewellery items including stones.

Glenn

[Updated on: Tue, 02 August 2011 16:01 UTC]

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Talismans and Amulets [message #31739 is a reply to message #30589 ] Thu, 28 July 2011 17:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Very nice, how did you set your stone?

Edit: Helps if I read. Well done.

I used http://www.wire-sculpture.com/ for my diamond :cough: cubic zirconia :cough:. Hopefully will have pics up of it tomorrow Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 28 July 2011 17:45 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Talismans and Amulets [message #31832 is a reply to message #31739 ] Fri, 29 July 2011 23:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I don't like diamonds. The fact that they aren't actually rare, but just kept rare by diamond sellers aggravates me. Also, they aren't very interesting, when compared to the vast spectrum of other amazing stones out there (who's prices aren't artificially inflated).

One of my favorites, and greatly under-valued, are the Star Sapphires. I've uploaded samples of jewelery I designed through Shapeways in the past that used those with beautiful results. The floating star is always eye catching, and their prices aren't too bad. Also, because they are Sapphire, they are very hard, so they are good for rings.

Another amazing type of stones are the Color-Change variety. I've seen Color Change Garnets, Sapphires, and Diaspore. They don't change color, so much as capture and reflect the color around them, giving them different colors in various light sources. It's really nifty!

I'd browse a website like Gem-Select if I were you, and check out the amazing variety of stones there are out there. Diamonds are so cliche. Why not use something really amazing?
Re: Talismans and Amulets [message #31834 is a reply to message #30589 ] Sat, 30 July 2011 00:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Well said. Exactly my opinion of diamonds. DeBoer's and the rest of them literally have mountains of diamonds stored away that are released under controlled conditions so as not to flood the market (and lower the price).

Thanks for the link to Gem-Select - great site. I will definitely be buying from there.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Mecha Ring (size 15ish in polished silver)
Next Topic:PentaJumble

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.