Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » request for new materials
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
request for new materials [message #30568] Sun, 10 July 2011 18:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar Dungeon Beast  is currently offline Dungeon Beast
Go to my shop
I see there has been a lot of discussion of which materials are good sellers. Coming to shapeways from a jewellery production background it is obvious that the various karatages of gold are materials which are missing from our choices. Given the proliferation of printing bureaus within the jewellery industry that are printing in gold it is obvious that 3D printing in gold is economically viable. For those unfamiliar with working in gold, it costs a lot more but that also means you can make more money per item sold. It would be nice to be able to get my gold printing and sales done here on shapeways.

One other material I would like to see here is a pink high detail plastic.

If you like my shapeways designs check out some of my other designs at
http://www.BryanJohnson.ca
Re: request for new materials [message #30577 is a reply to message #30568 ] Sun, 10 July 2011 21:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
The Feedback Forum is probably the best place for new material requests. (I'm pretty sure there's an ongoing thread there for materials)

As an aside, these proliferation of bureaus printing in gold, are they DMLS or like Shapeways silver, 3D printed wax that's investement cast?

Re: request for new materials [message #30587 is a reply to message #30577 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 05:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dungeon Beast  is currently offline Dungeon Beast
Go to my shop
Thanks for letting me know. With a little luck a mod will move the thread to the right place.

Most of the gold goes through a wax casting phase. It looks like our silver here does too as they talk about removing investment. Investment is part of the casting process. The technology is evolving so rapidly in the jewellery world that there's no telling where we'll be 5 years from now. There is no clear cut RP system that is both better and more affordable than any of the others yet. The one thing everyone can agree on is that RP printer prices are still in the early adopter phase where unless you're printing a lot it's just better to use a printing bureau or mill the wax.

If you like my shapeways designs check out some of my other designs at
http://www.BryanJohnson.ca

Previous Topic:Multiple shops
Next Topic:magic menu