Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Best material for casting?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Best material for casting? [message #29384] Tue, 21 June 2011 03:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar Insane Galvatron  is currently offline Insane Galvatron
Go to my shop
I like the looks of the new WSF Polished. Much better than the old, but still porous. But then I noticed that smooth and shiny bunny on the front page. Do you think ceramic will give me a smoother surface than WSF for casting? If so, does it keep detail as well as WSF or white detail? Or does it wash out? I'm making multiple parts that need to be assembled, so the details of the connection points need to be right.
Re: Best material for casting? [message #30470 is a reply to message #29384 ] Fri, 08 July 2011 15:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It's very doubtful you could use ceramics for this. Details get VERY washed out. Also, depending on what size you're looking for the part cannot be too small, either.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Best material for casting? [message #30656 is a reply to message #30470 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 22:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
Glenn is correct, ceramic will loose way too much detail.

FUD is the way to go. You just may have to do some finishing work to clean off some of the support material before making your mold.

Lincoln

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway

Previous Topic:Inexpensive post production techniques
Next Topic:Coating for food/drinks?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.