Home » Community » It arrived! » End = Beginning mobius
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
End = Beginning mobius [message #30280] Wed, 06 July 2011 10:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
End = Beginning = mobius strip, representing the end of something is the beginning of something new, and on a mobius strip, it is endless.

Designed by request, I liked it so much I bought one myself!

The images show the piece after I have lightly polished the printed stainless using 200 grit followed by 1200 wet & dry and a final buffing with Brasso - I really like the finish as it still shows the grain of the printed surface.

http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/mobius/images/end-beginning-mobius-02-sml.jpg
Large image here

http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/mobius/images/end-beginning-mobius-03-sml.jpg
Large image here

I received this about a week ago, but have only just been able to get a decent photo.

For both images, I've used magnets to support the piece. In the top image the mobius strip is held by a magnet to a steel rod, and in the 2nd image it is held against a mirror by a magnet behind the mirror.

Re: End = Beginning mobius [message #30284 is a reply to message #30280 ] Wed, 06 July 2011 13:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You got a thang for mobius as i have for docks for iPhone Very Happy

Its beautiful !

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: End = Beginning mobius [message #30292 is a reply to message #30280 ] Wed, 06 July 2011 17:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Very nice. I have no idea what an equivalent for Brasso would be in Canada - anyone?

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: End = Beginning mobius [message #30295 is a reply to message #30292 ] Wed, 06 July 2011 18:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@Dizingof - mobius shapes are just one of those things that can't be easily moulded - well suited to 3D printing Smile

@Lensman - Brasso, here in the UK, is the brand name of a metal polish suitable for brass, copper, stainless steel & chrome (so it says on the tin)... and is available from Candian Tire Smile

Re: End = Beginning mobius [message #30316 is a reply to message #30295 ] Thu, 07 July 2011 00:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MuseumofSmallThings  is currently offline MuseumofSmallThings
Go to my shop
Very nice,
I have a lot of issues photographing Stainless Steel prints and have needed to polish also to get the results i am almost happy with. I am a perfectionist when photography comes into my work so i am never happy. To this date i have only used flash photography to shoot my models but i am warming to non flash photography for the Stainless Steel prints i think. Your surface preparation looks great.

Leigh

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2011 00:45 UTC]

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/most
Re: End = Beginning mobius [message #30346 is a reply to message #30295 ] Thu, 07 July 2011 10:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@stop4stuff - Thanks. I had no idea it was here in Canada.

@Leigh - If you're referring to "on the camera" flash that's never a good thing to use, especially for close-ups. Natural light - perhaps a window with a white reflector on the other side can work very well (use a tripod). Flash is good if you have sufficient units and relectors/diffusers to provide lighting without harsh shadows.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: End = Beginning mobius [message #30350 is a reply to message #30346 ] Thu, 07 July 2011 11:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MuseumofSmallThings  is currently offline MuseumofSmallThings
Go to my shop
Hey Glenn,
I have a nice little rig set up specifically for photographing small objects like jewellery with two of camera flash units with soft box attachments ect. I have photographed many different types of objects made from many different materials but every time i shoot the bronze infused Stainless Steal i never feel happy with it. Its like a thorn in my side. If i ever get it to the point that i am happy with i will post the set up for others to use if they wish.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/most
Re: End = Beginning mobius [message #30412 is a reply to message #30350 ] Thu, 07 July 2011 20:24 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Cheers Leigh!

I'm lagging in camera technology, I use my ageing Nikon Cool Pix 2000. I have a few tricks for lighting & use a tripod a lot, it's not a bad camera for close up work... today, I just clocked up 8510 total pictures taken with the camera (I know - Keep practicing Wink)

Previous Topic:Signets and Wax Seals
Next Topic:5" Live steam cab plates.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.