Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Introductions » I am new to shape ways but not to 3D modeling
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
I am new to shape ways but not to 3D modeling [message #29871] Tue, 28 June 2011 19:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar Ben Stanley  is currently offline Ben Stanley
Go to all my models
Hello, I am a 3D modeler that is currently looking to get into CAD.

I have a few questions before hand...

1. What is needed/Required to get a 3D model ready for printing?
2. How big can a model be? In both inches and centimeters
3. I am looking to prototype a miniature line here on shape ways. Would anyone have ANY suggestions on doing that.

My current 3D program is Blender 3D - does anyone have any suggestions for a easy to use Cad program that is cheap?
Re: I am new to shape ways but not to 3D modeling [message #29893 is a reply to message #29871 ] Wed, 29 June 2011 03:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MuseumofSmallThings  is currently offline MuseumofSmallThings
Go to my shop
Hey buddy,
Great to hear your keen to get started in 3D printing. I will say one thing to get you started and that is, read all the information that shapeways has to offer as they have thought long and hard about explaining what is required and relevant to make your models 3D print legal. As far as CAD software is concerned, any 3d modeling software is fine as long as you are able to export the geometry in a shapeways supported file format or have it translated in a 3rd party application. As far as i can tell shapeways offers more file formats for uploading geometry than any other 3d printing company.
All the best,
Leigh

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/most
Re: I am new to shape ways but not to 3D modeling [message #29898 is a reply to message #29871 ] Wed, 29 June 2011 07:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Ben,

Welcome to Shapeways Smile

Most of your questions can be answered via the support pages. Start with the FAQs, then check out the Materials and finally head to the Tutorials. The Materials comparison sheet gives a side-by-side comparison of the materials, the maximum print dimensions and more.

As long as Blender exports any of the following formats, STL, VRML2/97 (.wrl), COLLADA (.dae), X3D and OBJ files, you can use Blender for your modelling.

As for prototyping miniatures, probably the best material to go for is Frosted Ultra Detail (aka FUD). Many people use the materials Shapeways offer for their final miniature products.

One of the most useful peices of software is NetFabb Basic. Netfabb has checking, repairing and measuring tools to help finailise your model before uploading.

Cheers,
Paul.

Re: I am new to shape ways but not to 3D modeling [message #29927 is a reply to message #29898 ] Wed, 29 June 2011 22:05 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Well that pretty much says it. Thank you guys. Smile

Hey Ben, welcome! stop4stuff and Leigh did a great job of pointing you in the right direction, but if you need any additional help let me know.

Community Manager | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Hello from Museum of Small Things
Next Topic:Hi from Germany

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.