Home »  » Post Production Techniques » Inexpensive post production techniques
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Inexpensive post production techniques [message #29385] Tue, 21 June 2011 04:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
I see a lot of people here doing amazing things with dyes, casting, painting, metal plating, etc, but unfortunately a lot of those things are beyond my resources at the moment because of time and budget concerns. Thus, I've been experimenting with inexpensive, quick methods of post production to spiff up my models (and hopefully start racking up some more sales so I can afford to try more things). Everything I use is stuff I just have lying around the house, instead of having to go out and buy new materials.

First, I figured I'd take advantage of WSF's thirsty nature, so I messed around with some old markers I had lying around. I got a really good result on my wings ring using nothing more than a couple of coats from gold and silver metallic paint pens, then a coat of clear nail polish as a sealant.

index.php?t=getfile&id=9519&private=0

Apologies for the quality of the pictures, my camera is on the fritz and I was more focused on just getting the pictures than getting a really good picture.

• Attachment: wingsring.jpg
    (Size: 65.14KB, Downloaded 696 time(s))

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: Inexpensive post production techniques [message #29386 is a reply to message #29385 ] Tue, 21 June 2011 04:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I've had good luck with tea dying in the past, so I tried coffee dying on my Tree Earrings in transparent detail. I did a quick sand with 2000 grit sandpaper I had leftover in order to get rid of the print lines then just stuck them in a cup of coffee for a day and a half.

index.php?t=getfile&id=9520&private=0

I am hoping to find a way to fill in the trees with a dark color so they stand out more, but if I can't find it, I think it looks pretty good as-is.

If you have any questions, comments, or on-the-cheap techniques to share, please do!

Re: Inexpensive post production techniques [message #29699 is a reply to message #29386 ] Sat, 25 June 2011 20:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cyborg_ar  is currently offline cyborg_ar
Go to all my models
Ohh that ring looks good, is it WSF or alumide? it looks like alumide!
Re: Inexpensive post production techniques [message #29702 is a reply to message #29699 ] Sat, 25 June 2011 21:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
WSF. it is the silver pen that makes the band look like alumide

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Inexpensive post production techniques [message #29710 is a reply to message #29702 ] Sat, 25 June 2011 23:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yeah, the silver metallic pen made it look almost exactly like alumide, I'll do a comparison pic between the colored ring and an alumide one after I get my camera working again.

Re: Inexpensive post production techniques [message #29738 is a reply to message #29385 ] Sun, 26 June 2011 17:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
I remember making natural dyes with berries or flowers when I was a kid. Does anyone know if those will hold in Nylon?

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Inexpensive post production techniques [message #29739 is a reply to message #29738 ] Sun, 26 June 2011 18:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Quote:

I remember making natural dyes with berries or flowers when I was a kid. Does anyone know if those will hold in Nylon?

Not yet, but I am intend to find out one day, if and when things slow down a bit.

My first attempts will be with "Macleaya" a plant from the garden. It's sap turn really bright orange when exposed to air and it stains like nothing I have ever seen before (also on plastic and stuff)

I was also perhaps thinking beet juice and or Rubus idaeus/Red raspberry would be nice.

And I might just dip some parts in concentrated tomato sauce or mustard Wink

Actually I'm hoping this will work with home printed PLA too, as that would make for 100% natural prints Wink

Cheers.

[Updated on: Sun, 26 June 2011 18:06 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Inexpensive post production techniques [message #30466 is a reply to message #29385 ] Fri, 08 July 2011 12:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Yep, tea-dying works great. This White Detail was soaked in tea overnight(?) and then sprayed with an acrylic gloss.

index.php?t=getfile&id=9893&private=0

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Inexpensive post production techniques [message #30613 is a reply to message #30466 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 15:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MuseumofSmallThings  is currently offline MuseumofSmallThings
Go to my shop
Wow this looks great. Such a nice color and with the gloss it looks a world away from WSF. Very cool

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/most
Re: Inexpensive post production techniques [message #30630 is a reply to message #30466 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 16:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Fri, 08 July 2011 12:48

Yep, tea-dying works great. This White Detail was soaked in tea overnight(?) and then sprayed with an acrylic gloss.

index.php?t=getfile&id=9893&private=0

mmm.... pretzels Wink

very cool indeed Lensman!

Re: Inexpensive post production techniques [message #30637 is a reply to message #29385 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 18:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
A pretzel pendant - there's an idea!.... bet someone's already done it here!

Glenn

Re: Inexpensive post production techniques [message #30638 is a reply to message #30613 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 18:25 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Museum of Small Things wrote on Mon, 11 July 2011 15:13

Wow this looks great. Such a nice color and with the gloss it looks a world away from WSF. Very cool

Actually, it was White Detail... but even so it does look very different.

Glenn

Previous Topic:Metal-Coating WSF Models
Next Topic:Best material for casting?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.