Home » Community » General Discussion » 3D printed glass from sand using solar power
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3D printed glass from sand using solar power [message #29677] Sat, 25 June 2011 10:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Markus Kayser has taken 3D printing to a whole new level, read how Markus uses focused sunlight and desert sand to 3D print glass. Shocked

Re: 3D printed glass from sand using solar power [message #29679 is a reply to message #29677 ] Sat, 25 June 2011 11:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Surprised Surprised Surprised

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: 3D printed glass from sand using solar power [message #29686 is a reply to message #29679 ] Sat, 25 June 2011 14:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
The macro shots of sand melting are amazing! Good stuff.

Trouble using SketchUp? Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp" - http://bit.ly/1jQ4RtV
Re: 3D printed glass from sand using solar power [message #29736 is a reply to message #29677 ] Sun, 26 June 2011 15:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nyrath  is currently offline nyrath
Go to all my models
This is sheer genius.
The device requires sunlight and sand, both of which are abundant in the desert.

This has applications in a hypothetical science fiction future. People who colonize other planets are limited as to what infrastructure they can bring.
With this device, they can use locally available sand and sunlight to print a lot of the items they will need.
Re: 3D printed glass from sand using solar power [message #29817 is a reply to message #29736 ] Tue, 28 June 2011 04:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Peterp  is currently offline Peterp
Go to all my models
wow this is a great little project, its amazing the way we can use technology, i especially like the solar power to get this done
Re: 3D printed glass from sand using solar power [message #29904 is a reply to message #29817 ] Wed, 29 June 2011 11:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
This is a brilliant project, thanks for the link.
VitualV

www.dotsan.com

Previous Topic:Can Shapeways offer Vacuum Metalization?
Next Topic:A new tool to fill gaps in triangle mesh models

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.