Home » Community » Work in progress » 24 tooth gear
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
24 tooth gear [message #29269] Sat, 18 June 2011 10:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Hi, my name's Paul. I'm addicted to LEGO.

Having played with LEGO on and off for roughly 38 years, I've created some wierd and wonderful stuff using LEGO and whatever else works to finish the project and some of my pieces have been at exhibitions.

There's Rola Hula a never ending roller coaster, run off of sequenced pneumatics with the air supply provided by a self designed LEGO air compressor. And LEGO weight driven generator, running an LED from the energy of a falling weight converted to electricity via LEGO, copper wire and magnets. Also something totally different, utilising the non magnetic qualities of LEGO along with bismuth to make magnets float in mid air with a Diamagnetic Levitation Rig

My next LEGO project has now started with this one little 24 tooth gear.

http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/lego-compatible/gears/images/24T-with-24T-sml.jpg
Large image here

http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/lego-compatible/gears/images/24T-with-worm-sml.jpg
Large image here

http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/lego-compatible/gears/images/24T-in-situ-sml.jpg
Large image here

I had to make a small physical adjustment with a needle file for the axle ot fit, but as you can see the gear meshes nicely with other LEGO gears.

What the finished project is going to be, I'm not saying for now, however the final item is going to be a combination of LEGO parts and custom 3D printed parts. (and the project doesn't include the NXT robotics that some people might recognise in the last picture)

For those interested, to create the gear, I used a 2D .dxf created by Matthias Wandel's Gear Template Generator, proportion information by converting LDraw object data to .dxf and actual LEGO dimensions found via Google.

Re: 24 tooth gear [message #29302 is a reply to message #29269 ] Sun, 19 June 2011 04:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
Nicely done! I haven't played extensively with LEGOs recently (although I did coordinate a hopefully non-moronic object lesson with LEGOs at work), but this is pretty sweet. You could make your own custom pieces to work with existing pieces.

On the other hand, I would worry about the LEGO company not appreciating this sort of production...
Re: 24 tooth gear [message #29307 is a reply to message #29302 ] Sun, 19 June 2011 06:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Cheers TurtlesAreCool.

The LEGO Group are fairly chilled when it comes to fan based add-ons to their products - typical examples being software, sensors and multiplexors for their Mindstorms Robotics Systems (RCX & NXT).

The parts I shall be designing to be compatible with genuine LEGO parts, as yet do not exist and are not made by The LEGO Group. The parts will not be advertised or sold as LEGO parts.

As long as I play by the rules, I'll have no worries Smile

Re: 24 tooth gear [message #32040 is a reply to message #29307 ] Thu, 04 August 2011 06:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jayfisher  is currently offline jayfisher
Go to my shop
Another AFOL here, so it's cool to see this done, but I'm curious... why make a 24-tooth gear when Lego already has 24-tooth gears? Did you want to prototype against something you could directly compare against a Lego version?
Re: 24 tooth gear [message #32042 is a reply to message #32040 ] Thu, 04 August 2011 06:52 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Hi jayfisher,

First off, Welcome to Shapeways!

Basically I made the 24T gear as a test piece to double check my workflow and to make sure I had the accuracy correct.

Cheers,
Paul

Previous Topic:House WIP
Next Topic:Polyhedra Tiles - w/pics