Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » size and scale question
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
size and scale question [message #29300] Sun, 19 June 2011 03:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar jacinta11  is currently offline jacinta11
Go to all my models
Hi,

I'm wanting to build a case for a USB key. I have the object's dimensions in millimeters, so I need the inside of my 3D design to match that.

How do I match the millimeters? What set of measurements does shapeways use to print the object?

I see there are a whole bunch of objects for lego, so I figure this is the same question as making a hat or something for a lego figure.

If anyone could walk me through this, I'd be grateful.

thanks,

Jacinta

[Updated on: Sun, 19 June 2011 03:41 UTC]

Re: size and scale question [message #29301 is a reply to message #29300 ] Sun, 19 June 2011 04:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
What 3D software are you designing with?

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: size and scale question [message #29305 is a reply to message #29301 ] Sun, 19 June 2011 04:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jacinta11  is currently offline jacinta11
Go to all my models
3D max
Re: size and scale question [message #29306 is a reply to message #29305 ] Sun, 19 June 2011 04:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar sFsGaming  is currently offline sFsGaming
Go to my shop
Whether you choose Inches or Millimeters when you are uploading your model depends on your System Units.

You can model in whatever units you want (Decimal Inches, CM, MM, etc.), but what really matters is whether your System Units are inches or millimeters.

Go to Customize -> Units Setup -> System Unit Setup

You don't necessarily need to change it. You just need to know what it's set to to make sure your model comes out the size you want.
Re: size and scale question [message #29309 is a reply to message #29300 ] Sun, 19 June 2011 07:11 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Jacinta,

Use the smallest possible units you can (e.g. mm) or native units and treat each unit as 1mm. When you come to upload your model, upload as an stl and select mm. This way you get no conversion or rounding errors.

NetFabb Basic (free) has a great set of measuring tools that you can use to check your model before upload.

Paul

Previous Topic:Questions on 3D Viewer
Next Topic:Modeling Help Needed

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.