Home » Support » 3D Design » Unusual appearance of part in Gallery Viewer
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Unusual appearance of part in Gallery Viewer [message #2903] Mon, 09 February 2009 11:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar minisumo  is currently offline minisumo
Go to my shop

I've uploaded my model to the gallery, it's a wheel for a small desktop robot.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/16937/wheel_mk3.html

I've noted an uneven surface and wondered if this was just a viewer (resolution/compression) issue or likely to transfer to the printed model.

The wheel pan (the bit between hub and rim) should appear as a flat disc with a series of lightening holes but gives the appearnace of ripples across the surface - these don't appear in the modeller (Co|create) or the view I used to inspect the item (MiniMagic).

Do I need to worry about the finished product?

best regards,
Colin
Re: Unusual appearance of part in Gallery Viewer [message #2905 is a reply to message #2903 ] Mon, 09 February 2009 12:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chris89  is currently offline chris89
Go to my shop
the model viewer gives everything the same smoothing group, so it will display flat surfaces with holes really weird.
Dont worry though, the printers will print it correctly since they cant do smoothing groups (obviously) so the flat planes will come out correct.
Re: Unusual appearance of part in Gallery Viewer [message #2919 is a reply to message #2903 ] Mon, 09 February 2009 20:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bvicarious  is currently offline bvicarious
Go to my shop
If you view the object in 3D, I think it gives a better rendering of what your printed part will look like (if it hasn't changed since I last viewed anything in 3D). The smoothed normals in the static view are just a shading trick and don't affect the geometry.

Previous Topic:Beginner questions
Next Topic:Co|Create STL problems...