Home » Community » It arrived! » Implicit Alien Terrain
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Implicit Alien Terrain [message #29151] Thu, 16 June 2011 00:58 UTC Go to next message
avatar vertigopolka  is currently offline vertigopolka
Go to my shop
Okay, just one more.

Got a print of my Implicit Surface A, a terrain-like model generated with a single mathematical expression using MeshLab's implicit surface filter.

When I first worked on the equation, I was pleasantly surprised to find the holes in the top led to the "roots" underground.

video: Implicit Terrain Video

model page: Implicit Surface A

side view
index.php?t=getfile&id=9449&private=0

angled view
index.php?t=getfile&id=9450&private=0

top view
index.php?t=getfile&id=9451&private=0

bottom view
index.php?t=getfile&id=9452&private=0

@vertigopolka
http://www.vertigopolka.com
Re: Implicit Alien Terrain [message #29277 is a reply to message #29151 ] Sat, 18 June 2011 13:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
I don't know why, but when I saw the holes up top I thought it would make a cool miniature water fountain. I think it would be really neat to see some awesome designs that channel water flowing from the top in very clever and unique ways. It would also be cool to dye the water to make it stand out as it flows all over.

Anywho, very beautiful free flowing design.
Re: Implicit Alien Terrain [message #29294 is a reply to message #29277 ] Sat, 18 June 2011 17:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar vertigopolka  is currently offline vertigopolka
Go to my shop
@RogersX: Thanks! I love the idea of a mini fountain; have no idea how to do that, but the concept sure has me thinking of some cool design possibilities!

@vertigopolka
http://www.vertigopolka.com
Re: Implicit Alien Terrain [message #29320 is a reply to message #29294 ] Sun, 19 June 2011 19:34 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
Welcome! It just screams water/ocean to me like all the wonderful sea creatures and plants. Actually it would be cool to put some really sweet designs in a fish aquarium that fish could move in and out of in really cool and unique ways. Animals interacting with 3d prints! Material would have to be water safe, glazed ceramics might work, hmmm....

For the fountain I guess I was thinking of something like slides at water amusement parks that many more of them twisting and tunneling in really neat ways, having water coming out at different heights/spouts etc.

Bah, just ignore me, dreaming of funny things... Smile

Previous Topic:Sci-Fi Reaper Rings
Next Topic:Dumbbell Cube by OSKAR

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.