Home » Support » 3D Design » adding COLOR for ZCorp color
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
adding COLOR for ZCorp color [message #29106] Wed, 15 June 2011 15:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar formpig  is currently offline formpig
Go to all my models
Does anyone know how I add color - say black - to some stl faces so they will print in color in the zcorp color process?

Can this be done in Rhino?

Thanks.
Re: adding COLOR for ZCorp color [message #29108 is a reply to message #29106 ] Wed, 15 June 2011 15:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
STL format (as used by Shapeways) won't support color.. switch to VRML or another color-supporting format.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: adding COLOR for ZCorp color [message #29109 is a reply to message #29108 ] Wed, 15 June 2011 15:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi. Thanks.

Do I just save out of Rhino as VRML or is it more complex than that?

Thanks.

Jon
Re: adding COLOR for ZCorp color [message #29112 is a reply to message #29108 ] Wed, 15 June 2011 15:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi. Thanks again.

Looks like I have the option to save as 1.0 or 2.0 and then I have checkboxes for Vertex Normals, Texture Coordinates and for Vertex Colors. Does it sound like any of these three should or should not be checked/

Do you know if Shapeways can accept the zpr format?

Thanks.
Re: adding COLOR for ZCorp color [message #29118 is a reply to message #29106 ] Wed, 15 June 2011 16:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Shapeways accepts VRML 2.0, no ZPR yet. Colors can be stored in the vertices or a texture map, but in your case, with flat colors, you are looking for vertex color only. Vertex colors will eventually be transferred to face colors, so color boundaries will not be maintained.

You can also color your STL in Meshlab and Output a VRML. It is common to have to re-scale the file anyway, since VRML units are always in meters. You can do both in Meshlab.

Simple Coloring: Filters>Color...>Vertex Color Filling

Rescaling from mm to meters: Filters>Normals...>Transform:Scale, Enter 0.001
Then (important) Filters>Normals...>Freeze Current Matrix
Save as VRML (*.WRL)

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog

Previous Topic:Scan Tracker for Next Engine
Next Topic:Questions on 3D Viewer

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.