Home » Support » 3D Design » Scan Tracker for Next Engine
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Scan Tracker for Next Engine [message #29036] Tue, 14 June 2011 16:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
I've just uploaded a model designed to help get the most out of a Next Engine laser scanner. Not many people have a Next Engine, but the principals the tracker is based on apply to many other types of scanners, so this should be of interest to anyone involved in 3D scanning.

Scan Tracker for Next Engine

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7483/nextenginescantracker80.jpg

The Scan Tracker works by creating an array of reference points around the object to be scanned. Those shapes will be included in the scan, and during alignment this will help "lock" the scans together accurately. Precise alignment is one of the most important parts of creating high quality scans.

It is also especially helpful when you are manually gathering scans from different angles, by giving clear features to place reference points for your initial alignment. It has five larger spherical points that are intended to be captured from both sides, matching distant features around the object. I recommend using 10 "slices" for your scans. If you are manually operating the platform, the points will help you keep track of your position.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2644/nextenginescantrackerbo.jpg

This version is hollowed out to reduce the price. If you have your own 3D printer (with a 6 inch build platform) you can download and print the solid version for free. It is available in STL and STEP on Thingiverse.com Here.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 June 2011 23:15 UTC]

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Next Engine Scan Tracker [message #29037 is a reply to message #29036 ] Tue, 14 June 2011 17:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
No doubt very it's very useful Wink

But is it ok to just admire it for it's shape?

I like it Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 14 June 2011 17:07 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Scan Tracker for Next Engine [message #29042 is a reply to message #29037 ] Tue, 14 June 2011 18:11 UTC Go to previous message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Thanks. I'm also pleased with the shape. It reminds me of an undersea creature. The many rounded corners are part of what makes it so effective. Sharp inside corners and crevices are the hardest thing for any scanner to capture.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog

Previous Topic:post-upload fix required(?)possible?)
Next Topic:adding COLOR for ZCorp color

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.