Home » Community » Work in progress » Key Fob
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Key Fob [message #28853] Fri, 10 June 2011 05:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
I had an idea tonight for a little design, and thought it might be neat on a key fob or some such. What I"m not sure about is how well indenting works on stainless steel.

The shallowest edges of this design get to about .8 mm deep, and the deepest parts are over 1.5 mm deep. The thickness (as far as I can measure) never drops below 3 mm. Thoughts?

index.php?t=getfile&id=9355&private=0
Re: Key Fob [message #28862 is a reply to message #28853 ] Fri, 10 June 2011 11:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Nice!! Smile

As long as the indentations are at least as wide as they are deep, you should be save.

I have some items with 1mm wide and deep engravings which turned out very well.

It looks like I can see some polygons, so you might want to smooth the object a bit more.

Cheers.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 June 2011 11:50 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Key Fob [message #28870 is a reply to message #28862 ] Fri, 10 June 2011 14:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
virtox wrote on Fri, 10 June 2011 11:49

Nice!! Smile

As long as the indentations are at least as wide as they are deep, you should be save.

I have some items with 1mm wide and deep engravings which turned out very well.

It looks like I can see some polygons, so you might want to smooth the object a bit more.

Cheers.

Thanks.

Are you certain they have to be as wide as they are deep? Mine are deeper than they are wide. The width of the engraving at the narrowest point is ~.5mm, I think. I scaled it so it would at least meet the guidelines on the stainless steel materials page.

If you're referring to the hole and the outer edges of the model, the polygons are intentional. If you are referring to the edges of the engraving, I am not expecting the printer to be capable of printing that detail. Do you expect those small polys to cause trouble?
Re: Key Fob [message #28872 is a reply to message #28870 ] Fri, 10 June 2011 14:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

Are you certain they have to be as wide as they are deep? Mine are deeper than they are wide. The width of the engraving at the narrowest point is ~.5mm, I think. I scaled it so it would at least meet the guidelines on the stainless steel materials page.

It's my rule of thumb, to be on the safe side and for reproducible results.

I have had instances where the deeper than wide can contained fused residue.(trapped metal powder that is baked into the model)

Sharp and narrow might also trap some grit during the polishing.

Quote:

If you're referring to the hole and the outer edges of the model, the polygons are intentional.

I was referring to the outer edges and with what looks like a render time smoother, I thought I'd alert you, so never mind Wink

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:Fractal graph
Next Topic:Golden Ingot Pendant

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.