Home » Community » General Discussion » Touch screen 2 Model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon3.gif  Touch screen 2 Model [message #28614] Sun, 05 June 2011 12:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar clearmenser  is currently offline clearmenser
Go to my shop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOYDERT-p_g

See those black marks the fingers make. Now imagine them as MRI-style micro slices through a model defining it's inside/outside. Now imagine modeling complex objects with it. Yes?

I'm sure it would be easy to program, just out of my expertise. Just putting it up here for the more adventurous experimenters who have more time than I do.
Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #28616 is a reply to message #28614 ] Sun, 05 June 2011 12:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Cool!
I have been experimenting with a very similar technique but just using animated video frames as layer definitions.

Using a touchscreen to create the video/slices crossed my mind, but I don't have any real multi-touch devices to record such data.

Anyone willing to record something?
I can try to turn it in to 3d model for you.

Cheers,

Virtox

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
icon14.gif  Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #28621 is a reply to message #28616 ] Sun, 05 June 2011 13:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I cropped the test animation from the above video. I didn't want to process the images because I didn't know how you'd use them.

The whole animation on the vid was about 1000 frames (at 24 fps).
Included is a zip file with the last 145 frames as pngs of the test animation in the youtube vid. It seemed to me that some of the more interesting shapes were at the end. It might look funny, but I think it's a start.
Is that enough to go on for now?

Here's the tech's website:
http://ecologylab.net/research/zerotouch/index.html
And their email:
zerotouch at ecologylab.net

cheers Smile

p.s. apparently this is the way that CRT's were first mach touch screens back in the day (so said a comment on the New Scientist article's website)

• Attachment: touch2.zip
    (Size: 8.78MB, Downloaded 56 time(s))

Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #28627 is a reply to message #28614 ] Sun, 05 June 2011 18:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Wow!

That's very cool technology... I'm thinking, just use the frame with a feed mechanism passing an object through, taking reference points slice after slice to build up a point cloud, mesh it and that makes a very fast, cheap 3d scanner, which could even be home built!

Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #28633 is a reply to message #28627 ] Sun, 05 June 2011 22:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
You'd be very limited on the shapes you could scan and you'd probably need to drop the objects through to get a predictable speed.
Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #28634 is a reply to message #28616 ] Sun, 05 June 2011 22:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sorry, my bad, here's the whole quicktime. I don't know why I sent just frames, it must have been too late in the night for my brain to work right.

I'd love to see if you can do anything with this Smile

Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #28635 is a reply to message #28633 ] Sun, 05 June 2011 23:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
clearmenser wrote on Sun, 05 June 2011 22:55

You'd be very limited on the shapes you could scan and you'd probably need to drop the objects through to get a predictable speed.

The youtube vid comentary says the technology utilises win7 drivers. The 'technology' is simply IR LEDs and IR receivers mounted on a frame hooked up to win7 touchscreen drivers...the feed through mechanism could be something as simple as a motor driven rotating threaded rod acting as a type of worm drive. IR LEDs & receivers can be postioned wherever is needed for accuracy and sampling can be done thousands of time a second.

No need for frame-by-frame screen image capture...

Simples (for those with the know how & skillz - which isn't me, I just visualise stuff Wink)

Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #28646 is a reply to message #28634 ] Mon, 06 June 2011 10:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Actually, the frames zip was spot on, I always do this thing with sequenced png Smile An unprocessed is also good, as I do that on the fly.

Anyway, the resolution and definition is a bit low and for best results it requires a single "blob" so no completely white frames or detached pieces.

But here is a piece of it:
(100 frames or so)

index.php?t=getfile&id=9243&private=0

Data derived from above mentioned and cropped Zerotouch video.

View 3d model here :http://www.shapeways.com/model/271180/

The process works best with slow moving video where all motion is somehow connected. But the possibilities/results of touch are way cooler than I had imagined Smile

Cheers

[Updated on: Mon, 06 June 2011 12:04 UTC]

icon10.gif  Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #28647 is a reply to message #28646 ] Mon, 06 June 2011 12:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Arrgghhh! You beat me to it. Embarassed

I work at a visual effects studio and had a partial set up when I left this evening, but I was going to tackle it tomorrow. But let's see what I get anyway.
Let's see if I can get the whole 1000 frame animation going. I bet with some frame blending it'll look sweet. The left side of the frame was cut off, so I think I'll try and mirror it to see what I get.

Yah, I think it'd be a very different result if the movements were purposeful, but I do think it has a fluid and organic kind of grace.

Oh, yeah, good job, sir, it looks Awesome! Good job Cool

p.s. I think It'd look very interesting as the negative space in the inside of a block of lucite.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 June 2011 12:33 UTC]

Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #28649 is a reply to message #28647 ] Mon, 06 June 2011 12:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks, sorry, I didn't know you were gonna try:
Quote:

I'm sure it would be easy to program, just out of my expertise. Just putting it up here for the more adventurous experimenters who have more time than I do.

Wink

Anyway, like I said, I already had most of the setup for this.
Then it was just a matter of tweaking the video and filters.

Curious to see what you will get out of it!

[Updated on: Mon, 06 June 2011 15:12 UTC]

Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #28690 is a reply to message #28646 ] Mon, 06 June 2011 22:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
That's pretty cool Virtox.

clearmenser wrote on Mon, 06 June 2011 12:28

p.s. I think It'd look very interesting as the negative space in the inside of a block of lucite.

Can be done as the wax filled hollow space inside a block of FUD.

icon14.gif  Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #29459 is a reply to message #28649 ] Wed, 22 June 2011 08:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Whew, finally able to wrangle some time together.
Here's a still of the big enough solid shapes in the whole 1060 frame sequences.
Some of them are very interesting! http://brizzly.com/pic/4KFW

Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #29462 is a reply to message #29459 ] Wed, 22 June 2011 08:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Nicely done! Smile

Is the coloring arbitrary, or speed derived?

Cheers

Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #29478 is a reply to message #29462 ] Wed, 22 June 2011 11:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The color is just from the bounding box.
A simple default arrangement in Houdini that helps make it more interesting than flat white. I didn't have time to play with render settings as this is just a screen shot.
Re: Touch screen 2 Model [message #32090 is a reply to message #29462 ] Fri, 05 August 2011 01:07 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
And here's someone that does this kind thing large scale! I don't think he'd going from a touch screen interface, but the result is similar.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/culturelab/2011/08/sculpti ng-shapes-that-dont-exist.html
http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/exploring-the-dimensions -with-sculpture/2

http://www.newscientist.com/data/galleries/exploring-the-dimensions-with-sculpture/00497881f60.jpg

Previous Topic:Something for us foreigners
Next Topic:Desperately seeking Ana

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.