Home » Community » Introductions » total beginner: Never worked with 3D before
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
total beginner: Never worked with 3D before [message #28470] Wed, 01 June 2011 14:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar Roni  is currently offline Roni
Go to all my models
Hi all, this is Roni.
Ralph from the Customer Service of Shapeways adviced me to post here.
This is the project:

Given is the SLT-data of a bust (original height: ca. 36cm, hollow inside). I already have that data taken from the original by professionals. (actually there are 2 SLT-files of 138MB together.)

I want to make a cheap replica of that bust in reduced size: ca. 18cm.

From the material-sheet on this website, I understand that 'White Strong Flexible' should be the material of choice here. (Ralph confirmed this.)

Now my questions are:

1.) Do I need to change the SLT-data of the original model to fit the new size or can it be used for the reduced-size-version too?

2.) Since the size of my SLT-files is bigger than allowed for direct upload: how can I pre-calculate the approximate price of the item? Is there a way to make reasonable assuptions on the final cm^3 just from the knowledge about dimensions of the original?

3.) Do you think, it will be cheaper to make just one 3D-print of the new-sized model and then build a regular mold from it for further reproduction or is it better to make every single reproduction by 3D-print?

Any ideas or advice is welcome!
Thanks a lot in advance!
Re: total beginner: Never worked with 3D before [message #28471 is a reply to message #28470 ] Wed, 01 June 2011 14:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Welcome Roni,

How thick is the 36cm model? If it's thick enough you could simply scale it down. If it's not then you'll have some work to do. For resizing look at MeshLab. You'll be able to resize, and reduce the file sizes in there for printing.

And for your future production question, that depends on quantity, and quality desired. The easiest thing is to let shapeways handle all the work Razz.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: total beginner: Never worked with 3D before [message #28474 is a reply to message #28470 ] Wed, 01 June 2011 15:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Roni,

NetFabb Basic has all the tools that you would need for re-scaling, checking wall thickness and the volume of the model is shown. Grab a calculator & use prices from the Materials page to get the actual cost, add 19% Dutch VAT if you're in a EU country, but NetFabb Basic is free to all.

And you might be able to get around the upload filesize limit by zipping or even double zipping the file - I've seen files packed to 1/5th the size using double zipping.

Cheers,
Paul
Re: total beginner: Never worked with 3D before [message #28476 is a reply to message #28470 ] Wed, 01 June 2011 16:04 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Roni  is currently offline Roni
Go to all my models
Thanks a lot Youknowwho4eva and stop4stuff for the quick reply!

I'll try that software.

Previous Topic:Hello Shapeways Forum
Next Topic:Howdy to Shapeways!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.