Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » Constant Width Volumes
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Constant Width Volumes [message #28260] Fri, 27 May 2011 12:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar Zephyris  is currently offline Zephyris
Go to my shop
They arrived! Take a look at the shapeways page.
index.php?t=getfile&id=9091&private=0
These are surfaces of constant width and are really quite fun. While they aren't spherical they roll perfectly, if you put all three on a table then put a book on top of them it rolls as if it were on ball bearings... The fun thing is the ball bearings aren't spherical, but it feels though they are!

These are three different constant width surfaces, one based on the Reuleaux triangle (bottom), one on the Reuleaux pentagon (top left) and one on the Reuleaux heptagon (top right).

Re: Constant Width Volumes [message #28271 is a reply to message #28260 ] Fri, 27 May 2011 16:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
Very cool solids!! What is their diameter?

Check out these other Shapeways models of solids of constant (3cm) width:

Meissner Tetrahedra at bliku

Reuleaux Solids
at Polypuzzles

You can now get some gorgeous ones made from solid aluminum at Grand Illusions.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 May 2011 16:58 UTC]

Re: Constant Width Volumes [message #28293 is a reply to message #28271 ] Sat, 28 May 2011 13:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Zephyris  is currently offline Zephyris
Go to my shop
These ones are 2.8cm... And very satisfying to play with!

Previous Topic:FD/FUD Models after Painting
Next Topic:Camera Case Prototype

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.