Home » Community » It arrived! » Implicit Surfaces
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Implicit Surfaces [message #28191] Wed, 25 May 2011 23:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar vertigopolka  is currently offline vertigopolka
Go to my shop
Here's some images of my WSF models generated with MeshLab's implicit surface filter.

I've also posted a video of the models so you can view them from all perspectives and get a better feel for the scale:
3D Printed Implicit Surfaces movie

Implicit Gills: model
index.php?t=getfile&id=9080&private=0

Implicit Surface E: model
index.php?t=getfile&id=9081&private=0

Implicit Surface B: model
index.php?t=getfile&id=9082&private=0

Implicit Surface R: model
index.php?t=getfile&id=9083&private=0

Implicit Surface Y: model
index.php?t=getfile&id=9084&private=0

@vertigopolka
http://www.vertigopolka.com
Re: Implicit Surfaces [message #28193 is a reply to message #28191 ] Thu, 26 May 2011 01:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HappenstanceHeroes  is currently offline HappenstanceHeroes
Go to my shop
Those are so cool. I think I like the gills the most, but it's a tough call. Being math-defunct myself, most of my attempts at stringing together long made up equations have resulted in mostly uninteresting results. Do you know of a way to get it to recognize Sin or Cos in an equation? If I could find a way to do that, it might spice things up, but it calls me an idiot when I type them like that.
Re: Implicit Surfaces [message #28201 is a reply to message #28193 ] Thu, 26 May 2011 04:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm not sure if this will help at all, but hopefully it's a good starting point.

Here's the expression for the terrain model (with a limit of 3 (x,y &z)):
cos((2*x)*(x + y + z +1))*sin((2*y)*(x + y + z +1)) + cos((2*y)*(x + y + z +1))*sin((2*z)*(x + y + z +1)) + cos((2*z)*(x + y + z +1))*sin((2*x)*(x + y + z +1)) - .25*x*x*x - .25*y*y*y - .25*z*z*z - 2.5

You can break it down to
[cos x(expression) times sin y(expression)]
plus
[cos y(expression) times sin z (expression)]
plus
[cos z (expression) times sin x (expression)]
plus (or minus)
a variable,
and maybe you can start to get some pretty cool sh*t happening.

For the "expression," you might start by using the formula for a sphere, x*x+y*y+z*z-1.

@vertigopolka
Re: Implicit Surfaces [message #28209 is a reply to message #28193 ] Thu, 26 May 2011 07:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
I always love checking out your work...great stuff here!

-Marcus
Re: Implicit Surfaces [message #28229 is a reply to message #28209 ] Thu, 26 May 2011 21:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@denali3ddesign: thnx for the props! I really appreciate it.

@vertigopolka
Re: Implicit Surfaces [message #28277 is a reply to message #28229 ] Fri, 27 May 2011 18:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
@vertigopolka keeping up the awesome, I see. I'm particularly a fan of the Implicit Surface B. Smile

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been 3D modeling for?

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Implicit Surfaces [message #28279 is a reply to message #28277 ] Fri, 27 May 2011 18:59 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
@ana Thanks! I've been dabbling with different low-end 3D programs as a hobby off and on for a little over twenty years (late '80's). I've only used the app for these models (MeshLab) for a few months.

@vertigopolka

Previous Topic:FUD forever
Next Topic:FD/FUD Models after Painting