Home » Community » General Discussion » Better led's : Boost to 231 Lumen/Watt
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Better led's : Boost to 231 Lumen/Watt [message #27898] Fri, 20 May 2011 10:24 UTC
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
So, not really about 3d printing, more about high power leds.

And as many like to design light sculptures on Shapeways, I think it's relevant enough:

Cree goes beyond theoretical max of 200 lumen/watt, to 231 Smile
http://www.cree.com/press/press_detail.asp?i=1304945651119

Not in production yet, but they have a good reputation on delivering this kind of stuff.
And I know I am very happy about this for one Smile
(might also be a bit because of my background in EE though)

So how is this useful? Well more lumen/watt means less heat and more compact but still bright lights.

I am still working on using a few Cree-like leds to work with Shy-light and companions.

Currently they come in 1 and 3 watt variant, with combichips up to 10 Watt. Producing well into the hundreds of lumen.
Problem?
They generate quite a bit of heat still and these led's usually come on an aluminium star which need need mounting on cooling elements. Which can take up useful space and need airflow, defeating the purpose of small led's.

So here's to better LED's Wink

Cheers.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:Can you add an option to add a specific markup for all the materials?
Next Topic:impossible is not French

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.