Home » Support » 3D Applications » How to Correct The Geometry?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to Correct The Geometry? [message #27835] Thu, 19 May 2011 16:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar shry  is currently offline shry
Go to my shop
Hello everyone,

Can someone here please tell me how to create geometry so that when I export it in .STL file, it doesn't appear like number 2 instead of number 1 (please see attached image below)?

Thank you

• Attachment: STL.PNG
    (Size: 20.96KB, Downloaded 103 time(s))

Re: How to Correct The Geometry? [message #27838 is a reply to message #27835 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 16:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
You can't. STL can only approximate non-planar surfaces by dividing them in to many separate polygons. If you set the resolution higher when exporting you will get a file that looks more like 1, but it's never possible to get it completely smooth, though. But usually the resolution of the printers is lower than the resolution of the file so it doesn't matter that much.
Re: How to Correct The Geometry? [message #27845 is a reply to message #27835 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 17:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Shapeways does now support OBJ which is common and I believe nurb based (Allows rounded faces)

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: How to Correct The Geometry? [message #27876 is a reply to message #27845 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 22:38 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Thu, 19 May 2011 17:32

Shapeways does now support OBJ which is common and I believe nurb based (Allows rounded faces)

Do you know how that works out when converted to the printer file format?
(second time i've seen nurb mentioned in as many days - i gotta do some research into this and catch up with modern stuff)

@srirg60 - for smooth printed round shapes, I aim for triangles with 0.1mm or less between vertices, which works for me Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 19 May 2011 22:38 UTC]

Previous Topic:Saving to StereoLithography
Next Topic:How to check and fix STL files

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.