Home » Support » 3D Applications » Saving to StereoLithography
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Saving to StereoLithography [message #27806] Thu, 19 May 2011 12:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar null_and_void  is currently offline null_and_void
Go to my shop
I thought since Stereo Lithography seems to be the simplest format to use with your service, maybe I should write my own software that saves to that format.

Open sourced software seems to be easier to work with but I have a small question re printers at Shapeways.

Would you mind telling me which kinds of CPUs and Printers you have?

Regarding the cpus and printers, are they (check which apply)

1. CR/LF ( PC/DOS ) [ ]

2. LF ( Unix ) [ ]

3. CR ( Macintosh ) [ ]

In case you were wondering, those letters to the left of the system name are the type or character used to go to the next line in a text or ASCII American Standard for Communication Information Interchange file. And might be important to know which format said printers use so that file(s) might be made useable to them from said concept application.

Working at letting development tools be more available to needy and low income households.
Re: Saving to StereoLithography [message #27808 is a reply to message #27806 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 12:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
Justin,

i think the best thing to do is write an email to service@shapeways.com

they can send the email to the person that knows the most about the printers and then reply back to you
Re: Saving to StereoLithography [message #27812 is a reply to message #27806 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 13:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
So you are wanting to write software for Shapeways or for yourself? If it's for yourself the STL format should be universal across platforms.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Saving to StereoLithography [message #27814 is a reply to message #27812 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 13:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Youknowwho4eva is right; STL is a platform independent file format.

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Saving to StereoLithography [message #27816 is a reply to message #27812 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 13:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I agree that it should be cross platform of options and simplicity, generally speaking but for making aware which format works on shapeways hardware, I can only fathom that would be made through an upload of three kinds of file, each of their own new line character. Unless ofcoarse, the support@shapeways can answer which kind of new line character is accepted at shapeways in the .stl (stereo lithography) file format.

I'll send a quick email.
Re: Saving to StereoLithography [message #27818 is a reply to message #27816 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 13:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I don't think they'll be able to answer that for you (the question will probably be routed back to me Wink. I'm not aware of any specific requirements on our end, but you can easily test by uploading all three variations. If our site accepts your file, you're good! (We convert all files to an internal file format before sending them off to our printers)

Bart

Re: Saving to StereoLithography [message #27823 is a reply to message #27818 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 14:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks. I appreciate your help Sir. As I don't have the development suite chosen yet, it may be a while until I upload sample data files.
Re: Saving to StereoLithography [message #27824 is a reply to message #27823 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 14:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
No problem. Feel free to mail me at bart@shapeways.com if you have any questions.

Bart

Re: Saving to StereoLithography [message #27828 is a reply to message #27806 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 15:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Looking at an STL file in Notepad, it appears not to have any symbolism for line breaks.
The first line denotes SLA format and from which program it was created, and from there it to give the location of every triangle.
Example
facet normal 0.99942089 0.00000000 0.03402766
outer loop
vertex -0.03768646 4.62432798 3.77802887
vertex -0.03768646 4.87316406 3.77802887
vertex -0.03768897 4.87316404 3.77810254
endloop
endfacet
repeated with the coordinates of each face.

Edit, I tried to manually create a cube but looks like I messed up a coordinate. http://www.shapeways.com/model/261126/cube_test.html?gid=ug
It's amazing how much this will hurt your head just to make a cube lol.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 May 2011 15:56 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Blender meta
Next Topic:How to Correct The Geometry?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.