Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » Silver Dice... in FD and FUD
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Silver Dice... in FD and FUD [message #27728] Tue, 17 May 2011 21:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
I finally also received my first Frosted Detal and Frosted Ultra Detail models.
It is a model initially planned for Silver, thus the name: the Silver D6.
Here is the Silver D6 in FD
/openfile/231635/photos/photo40607.jpg
And the Silver D6 in FUD
/openfile/231635/photos/photo40608.jpg
A side by side comparison:
/openfile/231635/photos/photo40610.jpg
They look very good, in particular, they are quite smooth.

The FUD is more transparent more yellowish and perhaps also more sticky than the FD and you can better see the thickness of the walls.

I have just two issues with them:
- because they are transparent/transluscent, even if they have a lot of details, it is difficult to actually see them. I think they absolutely need to be painted to really take advantage of the details.
- as others noticed, there is a kind of black powder outside (easy to clean) but also inside the die (impossible to reach: water, soap and water, and compressed air have no effect).
I think this last point should be easy to solve (find the source of this black powder and eliminate it).

But overall, they are very interesting materials that could probably replaced Transparent Detail...

Now, I am waiting for the D33 Frosted Edition (support material inside) but also for the Geared D6 (moving parts, hopefully)...

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Silver Dice... in FD and FUD [message #27905 is a reply to message #27728 ] Fri, 20 May 2011 13:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Here is a detail of the black power that is inside the die:
index.php?t=getfile&id=8978&private=0
Anyone else having this issue?

• Attachment: IMG_2305.JPG
    (Size: 120.00KB, Downloaded 287 time(s))

So many things to design, so little time...

Previous Topic:Squashed Cube by OSKAR
Next Topic:Heraldic Pendant in ABG

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.