Home » Community » It arrived! » Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #27248] Tue, 10 May 2011 13:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar michaellla  is currently offline michaellla
Go to my shop
Hi everyone,

I received my Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck prints in SWF.
The prints came out beautifully, thank you Shapeways especially Maartje and Joost for all the help with the large files and very speedy print! They are now on their way to the RAPID2011art exhibition.

I did the sculpting in zbrush and the creation of the moveable parts in Rhino and T-Splines. The Horse Marionette has fully functional joints and movable wings. The Rocking Springbuck has rotating gears and they move as the buck rocks. All the parts of the sculpture have been placed in the same 3D printable file, so no assembly is required afterwards.

http://www.nomili.co.za/NOMILI_website/about/news/end%202010%20to%20start%202011/Horse-Marionette-6sm.jpg
http://www.nomili.co.za/NOMILI_website/about/news/end%202010%20to%20start%202011/Horse-Marionette-11sm.jpg

A video of the Horse Marionette in action

http://www.nomili.co.za/NOMILI_website/about/news/end%202010%20to%20start%202011/Rocking-Springbuck-1sm.jpg
http://www.nomili.co.za/NOMILI_website/about/news/end%202010%20to%20start%202011/Rocking-Springbuck-3sm.jpg

A video of the Rocking Springbuck in action
Thank you to shapeways for your gear examples, nobody likes to reinvent the wheel Smile

Kind Regards
Michaella
Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #27252 is a reply to message #27248 ] Tue, 10 May 2011 13:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
Beautiful, well done, I loved the videos.
V

www.dotsan.com
icon14.gif  Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #27253 is a reply to message #27252 ] Tue, 10 May 2011 14:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Those are so cool, especially the horse! I plan on going to the RAPID2011 show, so maybe I can play with it. Smile

The videos really help appreciate the designs...good job.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2011 14:32 UTC]

-Marcus
Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #27259 is a reply to message #27253 ] Tue, 10 May 2011 16:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
VirtualV: Thank you!

Marcus: Feel free to play Wink I wish I could be there myself, but South Africa is a bit far to travel just for the exhibition.
Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #27369 is a reply to message #27259 ] Thu, 12 May 2011 07:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I took some images of the strung Horse Marionette in action.
index.php?t=getfile&id=8822&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=8823&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=8824&private=0

The final bow
index.php?t=getfile&id=8825&private=0

Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #27393 is a reply to message #27248 ] Thu, 12 May 2011 15:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Impressive, and I agree, the video's help show off the design.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #27437 is a reply to message #27393 ] Thu, 12 May 2011 23:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
Very beautiful and functional, my fav is the marionette, reminds of Dark Crystal and Labrynth (eerie fantasy and mechanics). Thumbed up all the movies since I was logged in with my 'tube account, including the birdman in which I also really dig the functionality.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2011 23:21 UTC]

Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #27574 is a reply to message #27437 ] Sun, 15 May 2011 16:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Glenn: Thank you, the video's could be better quality but the white SWF material is quite a challenge to record.

RogersX: I loved those movies as a kid and it seems the influence shows Wink
Thank you so much for giving my video's a thumbs up!

Michaella
Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #28211 is a reply to message #27574 ] Thu, 26 May 2011 08:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Michaella, I went to RAPID on the first day, but was disappointed that your marionette wasn't there Sad There was an empty pedestal and sign for it though. I took some pictures, link here if anyone wants to see them. (pics are from my old 3MP Kodak, so not too great)

-Marcus
Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #28241 is a reply to message #27248 ] Fri, 27 May 2011 01:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
I am also in Minneapolis this week for the event, presenting my Morning Star. I was looking forward to seeing the marionette piece and was disappointed to hear from the curator that it was one of two artists works that were held up in shipping. I was able to grab the images out of this post and from the Rapid Gallery Web Page, and made some display boards (printed on an inkjet in the registration office). Certainly not as good as the real 3D model, and it was only for the last day, but much better than an empty pedestal.

index.php?t=getfile&id=9090&private=0

For anyone interested in hearing more about the show, I did some blogging about it here: 40westdesigns.com/blog

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #28249 is a reply to message #28241 ] Fri, 27 May 2011 07:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Aaron:
Thank you so much for the poster!!!!
I was so dissapointed, the designs were sent with TNT and they assured me the package will arrive on time. Only to hear from the organisers that it was delayed at customs and it's being shipped back to South Africa.
I really really appreciate the effort you put in for a fellow designer.
I love your morning star piece and hope that you get lots of good feedback from the show!
Michaella
Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #28265 is a reply to message #27248 ] Fri, 27 May 2011 15:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gumball  is currently offline gumball
Go to my shop
Not that I'd probably ever be able to afford it, but will the marionette ever be for sale here...

Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #28339 is a reply to message #27248 ] Mon, 30 May 2011 06:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I just want to clarify, Shapeways and their employees were absolutely wonderful. The printed the designs were done in record time and they arrived earlier than expected in South Africa. I then got the designs ready repacked them and sent via TNT to the USA. They were delayed for days at customs in New York, and didn't make it to the show. I still have no idea why.
Shapeways was in no way to blame, in fact had it been sent with them it would probably have arrived early Wink

gumball: The Marionette a wooden controller and has to be strung up before it can be sold, so unless shapeways does custom marionette stringing it will have to be sent to me and then strung.

Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #28341 is a reply to message #27248 ] Mon, 30 May 2011 07:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
And please vote for the work on art takes london!!
http://www.arttakeslondon.com/Michaellla
Thank you !!!!!!
Michaellla
Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #28343 is a reply to message #28339 ] Mon, 30 May 2011 07:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gumball  is currently offline gumball
Go to my shop
michaellla wrote on Mon, 30 May 2011 06:49

gumball: The Marionette a wooden controller and has to be strung up before it can be sold, so unless shapeways does custom marionette stringing it will have to be sent to me and then strung.

I was thinking less of actually using it as a marionette and more as a movable piece of art.
Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #28344 is a reply to message #28339 ] Mon, 30 May 2011 07:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
USA customs have been running with delays since around past November. With increased bureaucracy by Dept of Homeland Security things just take weeks to arrive, and it hits all cargo companies or mail services, more or less evenly. It could be worse, Russia suffered a highcup past year and UPS still has self impossed restrictions that cut private shipping to zero. So next time make sure your box has all the right papers, and have plenty of time to wait in the queue, borders are getting hard.
Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #28376 is a reply to message #27248 ] Mon, 30 May 2011 16:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
I can't imagine why a small, lightweight sculpture would need such attention at customs. I'm within the US, but that kind of nonsense is exactly why I opted to fly my piece there myself. I had the good fortune to have the advice of my father who has a lot of experience transporting fine art and sculptures, and he assured me that I'd be fine taking what appeared to be medieval weaponry through LaGuardia (not carry-on, lol). He was right. I spoke with a guy at Rapid from a forensics lab, and when he transports skulls for examination, the baggage handlers don't even ask him about the human head in his bag. So, really sensible rules we have here. Rolling Eyes

EOS had a DMLS system on-site. If only they had the nylon version we might have been able to pull off a miracle and produce it at the event!

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Horse Marionette and Rocking Springbuck [message #28486 is a reply to message #27248 ] Wed, 01 June 2011 18:14 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
@ stannum: I just wished the courier company gave a warning, instead they said it would arrive ahead of time. I know they have no control over US customs but they should be aware that delays are likely.

@aeron203: Yes, it would have been really cool if it was printed on the spot! Seems like the way to avoid customs issues is to get it printed in the country where you need it.
LOL, I definitely wouldn't want to book a flight from South Africa, with either your morning star or a human head. Don't think either of us will make it on the flight!
Thank you again for the trouble you went to make the sign, I really really appreciate it Smile

Previous Topic:Train trucks in FD and FUD
Next Topic:Digital Angel (10cm Frosted Detail)