Home » Community » General Discussion » FUD limited?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
FUD limited? [message #27231] Tue, 10 May 2011 11:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
I got this in the Shapeways email this morning:
Quote:

By the way, Frosted Detail and Frosted Ultra Detail are available as an 8-week promotion.

I was wondering what does this mean? FD and FUD will go away after 8 weeks? Or the price will change or what? Just curious as this is the exact material I have been waiting for ages and now am slightly afraid it won't be around for long? Confused

Also have been building up 3d miniatures for a while to print then produce and sell, slightly concerned if I start up then FUD dissapears for a while I won't have means of making more minis... So yeah, just wondering.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2011 12:15 UTC]

Re: FUD limited? [message #27236 is a reply to message #27231 ] Tue, 10 May 2011 12:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The 8 week period is to test the waters.

Sort of a big Beta test to see how it holds up under the unimaginable things the Shapeways community tends to design Wink

And how popular and well received it will be.

So now is your chance to order/test and give feedback Smile

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: FUD limited? [message #27239 is a reply to message #27236 ] Tue, 10 May 2011 12:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
I guess that makes me slightly nervous as that happened a couple years ago (eeek!) and took this long to be implemented:
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=2 866&goto=14631

Here's hoping! Smile
Re: FUD limited? [message #27257 is a reply to message #27239 ] Tue, 10 May 2011 15:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey RogersX, what Stijn says is exactly right. FD and FUD is basically in a beta period.

One of the factors that decides whether or not we keep it on is simply how much the community likes it/buys it. Another factor is how reliable of a material it is for the community's designs. We're making sure its a viable long term solution for the community, but we're well aware of how excited everyone is about it. Smile

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: FUD limited? [message #27314 is a reply to message #27257 ] Wed, 11 May 2011 18:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Vandil  is currently offline Vandil
Go to all my models
Any plans to extend the test period due to production difficulties?

Uva uvam vivendo varia
Re: FUD limited? [message #27318 is a reply to message #27231 ] Wed, 11 May 2011 18:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm sure all orders put in before the deadline will go through. With the high amount already ordered, I'm assuming they will have plenty enough feedback to decide whether to bring it back full time.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: FUD limited? [message #28330 is a reply to message #27231 ] Sun, 29 May 2011 18:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dymihail  is currently offline dymihail
Go to all my models
I'd just like to throw my hat in the ring for FUD becoming a permanent fixture. I have an awful lot of models that simply aren't printable in any other material. I don't have the time or resources to go back and re-engineer them. It's either FUD or nothing. I did a test batch of a lot of them in FUD and I'm extremely impressed and happy with the results, and I'm a pain to please. So please, if there's a way to keep FUD, do so. Thanks.
Re: FUD limited? [message #28358 is a reply to message #28330 ] Mon, 30 May 2011 11:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
I hope FUD stays, I haven't received my models ordered in FUD yet but the minimum wall thickness of 0.3mm is amazing and opens up many more streets of design especially with regard to scale models.

There are some designs that I just can't produce with the other materials, in addition to this the improved surface finish is excellent!

Regards,

Jack

Previous Topic:Co-Creator Sale
Next Topic:Wall Strength / Flexibility

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.