Home » Support » 3D Printing » Why print orientation is important
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Why print orientation is important [message #26793] Sat, 30 April 2011 18:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
Here's another example of why the option of fixing print orientation is necessary.
index.php?t=getfile&id=8622&private=0
The print on the right was done in the orientation I uploaded the part. For some reason it was turned 90 degrees for the part on the left. The bolt detail is almost gone and the edges are much thicker on the failed print. (was it also printed at a lower resolution as mentioned here? http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=4966&a mp;start=0& )

Re: Why print orientation is important [message #26795 is a reply to message #26793 ] Sat, 30 April 2011 18:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
Here's a front view of the two parts
index.php?t=getfile&id=8623&private=0
There's an indentation in each part corresponding to the web in the centre of each piece (that shrinkage is just the way the machine prints; if you can choose the print orientation you can plan for this and minimize its impact on the part).

I won't be able to sell the part on the left at full retail (if at all) - hopefully Shapeways will reprint the piece for me in the correct orientation.

This is why allowing us the option to fix the print orientation is necessary. For most parts it doesn't matter which way it's printed but for small parts like this it's the difference between a sale at full price and at worst no sale; a customer will not accept the part on the left when they can get the one on the right for the same price.

I'm looking at roughly two weeks minimum to receive a replacement part which may be printed the wrong way once again. This kind of uncertainty is not good for business.

Re: Why print orientation is important [message #26886 is a reply to message #26795 ] Tue, 03 May 2011 06:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar alienology  is currently offline alienology
Go to my shop
I absolutely agree - choice to fix direction of printing would be a MUST, in my opinion.
I would pay extra for it.
Re: Why print orientation is important [message #26895 is a reply to message #26793 ] Tue, 03 May 2011 11:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ChristelH  is currently offline ChristelH
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Scott,

I just sent you an email about this. As soon as I have received an answer from my colleague about this issue, I will contact you by email.

Kindly,
Christel

Best, Christel Maurmair Customer Service Agent Shapeways
Re: Why print orientation is important [message #26899 is a reply to message #26895 ] Tue, 03 May 2011 15:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
ChristelH wrote on Tue, 03 May 2011 11:06

Hi Scott,

I just sent you an email about this. As soon as I have received an answer from my colleague about this issue, I will contact you by email.

Kindly,
Christel

Hi Christel

Can you please also check about this ?
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=5135&a mp;start=0&

Could the print direction made the 3 lower "wings" fuse - yet not the top one ?

I'd hate to re-order it and find out again that print orientation can screw up my gaps and hinges.

Thanks

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Why print orientation is important [message #26923 is a reply to message #26899 ] Wed, 04 May 2011 09:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ChristelH  is currently offline ChristelH
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Asher,

I have sent you an email about this.

Kindly,
Christel

Best, Christel Maurmair Customer Service Agent Shapeways
icon9.gif  Re: Why print orientation is important [message #28077 is a reply to message #26793 ] Mon, 23 May 2011 21:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar smartmart  is currently offline smartmart
Go to my shop
Hi everyone!

I had a few rings produced in gold plated steel and polished silver. Same problem with orientation here. Silver was fine enough, but steel looks quite bad. If it had stayed like I uploaded it, there would have been no visible layers on the sides.
All I got from shapeways was "sorry, the process is automated".
Is there anything I can do? The geometries in question would only be ca. 0.5mm higher in the original orientation. Cannot be such a machine time issue...

Thanks for you help/advice!

Martin

Re: Why print orientation is important [message #28080 is a reply to message #28077 ] Mon, 23 May 2011 21:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The layering is part of the nature of Shapeways Stainless Steel prints - for perfectly smooth metal parts you may need to head to a direct metal laser sintering service (but SW silver is cheaper)

Re: Why print orientation is important [message #28183 is a reply to message #28080 ] Wed, 25 May 2011 20:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar smartmart  is currently offline smartmart
Go to my shop
Thanks, stop4stuff. But that doesn't quite answer my question.
I know that layers will always be visible in this process and about the alternative methods of production.

All I need is a way of telling Shapeways not to turn my data around, so that is as flat as possible in the z-axis, because this makes the layers (in the particular geometry) more visible.

Once one knows what layers do to a part, one can usually pick a good orientation to get the best surface quality. The problem is that there is no way of telling Shapeways to keep this orientation. Or is there???

best,
Martin
Re: Why print orientation is important [message #28184 is a reply to message #28183 ] Wed, 25 May 2011 20:57 UTC Go to previous message
avatar alienology  is currently offline alienology
Go to my shop
No I don't think there's way to keep the orientation you desire, unfortunately.

I did run into same problem a while back - but it wasn't deal-breaker in my case.

I think there is operator, somewhere, who takes bunch of STLs and arrays them to fill out printing volume to max capacity so all print at the same time. Durong that process he will decide on orientation of your STLs.

I wish there would be a premium fee we can pay to keep our STLs oriented as we want them.

Previous Topic:Printing direction
Next Topic:Is there a max wall thickness for ceramic

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.