Home »  » Official Announcements » Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26743] Fri, 29 April 2011 17:09 UTC Go to next message
Anonymous Coward
My Shapeways

We've totally reorganized the 'My Shop' and 'Profile' pages to make them easier to use and more powerful. Check out the My Shapeways menu to see how it's now organized.

In the process, we've also fixed a lot of issues that users were having with shop creation, image uploading, and other recurring issues. These should now be resolved.
Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26747 is a reply to message #26743 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 19:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
Yes the new "My Shapeways" solves some old and nasty navigation issues.

Thanks
Woody64
Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26763 is a reply to message #26747 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 21:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
uuuuups: guys you've missed one of the most important links:
- I want to go to my designs (ok)
- I want to go to my shop specification (also ok)

but I also want to go to my shop entry page !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woody64

[Updated on: Fri, 29 April 2011 21:30 UTC]

Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26766 is a reply to message #26743 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 22:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CombatBrick  is currently offline CombatBrick
Go to my shop
Hello there,
In response to my question about order delay I was told that Shapeways has problems with Detailed Printer and there is no ETA when it might get fixed and when the order would be finished. If you could post such things as a 'breaking news' on the site and in forums, it would be much more important for me then re-arranging buttons.
Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26788 is a reply to message #26743 ] Sat, 30 April 2011 15:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Awesome step forward again, nicely done guys!

Few small remarks:

- I would also like to see a link to /shops/<shopname>/

- Where will the todo-list for co-creators be shown?

Wandering off a little:

- I prefer the "old inventory" to manage the order of models in my shop, and it would seem logical that it gets it own page, I hate having to scroll down during all the sorting and clicking.

- The new product inventory matrix is great for managing the prices, but not with many models. Current load times exceed 30 seconds. A filter by shop section would speed things up a lot.

Wandering off some more:

- Please add notification of items sold without mark-up

- A "model page" as the customer sees it would be useful, having a separate browser session to do so is cumbersome.

- The "model edit" pages as we see the m now also have grown a bit beyond practical, some thoughts:

- While it's cool for shopping customers, the whole "Choose a material" and "Related products" take up a lot space which could be more useful for editing things related to the model.

- For years I have been watching the "Private Galleries" bit on the model page, I assume this has been superseded by "shop sections"? Anyhow, as long as its not used, why not hide it?

- Some sort of mini material matrix/list on the product page, so we can see all material markups for that model and use check boxes to enable/disable materials. Also instead of the sluggish "Not available in:" stuff

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26791 is a reply to message #26788 ] Sat, 30 April 2011 16:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
ad virtox:

Yes, the material/markup editing is still the weak point. (new inventory page load needs more then 40 seconds for loading).
Use case from designer point of view when uploading a model simple makes me crazy.

I strongly agree that the "model edit" needs a relaunch and maybe a split between user and customer view. I.e. the place used for various customer relevant topics could be used more useful for designer topics like material/markup handling.

Please, please take a look at some relevant use cases:

Designer:
- Loading a model: - handling materials - handling markups - edit description - adding to sections - save
- Updating a model: ...
- Ordering
- Manage the shop entry page
- Manage the subtopics inside the shop

Customer
Buying:
Browsing
Searching
- Looking for similar stuff
- Topics

Do such use cases exist? Would be interesting to discuss the relevance of these cases from shop owners point of view ...

Woody64
Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26820 is a reply to message #26791 ] Mon, 02 May 2011 03:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Excellent feedback guys! Thanks.

The "My Shapeways" restructuring is the first step to get more space for the features and fixes you ask for. Keep an eye out.

Pete
Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26840 is a reply to message #26743 ] Mon, 02 May 2011 15:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar horst  is currently offline horst
Go to all my models
I work here
I agree with Pete--this feedback is very helpful, and is exactly the kind of thing we'll be looking to work on next, now that the foundation work of My Shapeways has been completed.

-Ben

Shapeways Front-End Product Lead
Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26848 is a reply to message #26840 ] Mon, 02 May 2011 16:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
horst wrote on Mon, 02 May 2011 15:31

I agree with Pete--this feedback is very helpful, and is exactly the kind of thing we'll be looking to work on next, now that the foundation work of My Shapeways has been completed.

-Ben

In case you missed these:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=4640

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=5050

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=5110

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=5094

Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26866 is a reply to message #26743 ] Mon, 02 May 2011 18:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
seems like the ability to edit our bio on our public profile has disappeared. I see the page w/ the change password, expertise, forum signature, but no change bio.

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26874 is a reply to message #26866 ] Mon, 02 May 2011 21:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
jeff wrote on Mon, 02 May 2011 18:46

seems like the ability to edit our bio on our public profile has disappeared. I see the page w/ the change password, expertise, forum signature, but no change bio.

Good call, Jeff! In moving that field to a different location, it slipped through the cracks. Sad

We'll be bringing it back this week.

-Ben

Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26875 is a reply to message #26788 ] Mon, 02 May 2011 22:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
virtox wrote on Sat, 30 April 2011 15:54

Awesome step forward again, nicely done guys!

Few small remarks:

- I would also like to see a link to /shops/<shopname>/

- Where will the todo-list for co-creators be shown?

- We'll add that link to the shop page itself, that will be helpful.
- The to-do list appears on the My Designs page.

Wandering off a little:

- I prefer the "old inventory" to manage the order of models in my shop, and it would seem logical that it gets it own page, I hate having to scroll down during all the sorting and clicking.

- The new product inventory matrix is great for managing the prices, but not with many models. Current load times exceed 30 seconds. A filter by shop section would speed things up a lot.

- I'd like to combine and improve both of these at once. The only reason we keep the older version around is because the new one hasn't worked out that well. I'm planning to start looking into this next week, but it might have to come a bit later.

Wandering off some more:

- Please add notification of items sold without mark-up

- A "model page" as the customer sees it would be useful, having a separate browser session to do so is cumbersome.

- The "model edit" pages as we see them now also have grown a bit beyond practical, some thoughts:

- While it's cool for shopping customers, the whole "Choose a material" and "Related products" take up a lot space which could be more useful for editing things related to the model.

- For years I have been watching the "Private Galleries" bit on the model page, I assume this has been superseded by "shop sections"? Anyhow, as long as its not used, why not hide it?

- Some sort of mini material matrix/list on the product page, so we can see all material markups for that model and use check boxes to enable/disable materials. Also instead of the sluggish "Not available in:" stuff

Lots of good ideas here, and some have been on my to-do list for too long already. However, I'll have to phase them in later, after taking care of the first batch or two above. In particular, a lot of folks have asked us to allow shop owners to see product pages as their customers do, so that's the top of this part of the list!

-Ben

Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26879 is a reply to message #26875 ] Mon, 02 May 2011 23:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Thanks for the in-depth reply, appreciated!

I'll try to be patient and will be sure to keep more ideas coming Razz

Should you need help with real-user testing on the development-site, just let me know, as I secretly enjoy finding bugs/errors, usage annoyances and problems Wink

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Shapeways Site Update for April 29th, 2011 [message #26897 is a reply to message #26879 ] Tue, 03 May 2011 13:42 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
I work here
Secretly?! Very Happy

I appreciate the offer and want to take you up on it! Let me look into our testing process to see how I can get you in it...

-Ben

Previous Topic:Shapeways site update April 28th, 2011
Next Topic:Model upload problems [fixed]

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.