Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » Work in progress » Companion Cube
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Companion Cube [message #26799] Sun, 01 May 2011 00:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar loonsbury  is currently offline loonsbury
Go to all my models
It's been too long since I made anything.

From Portal 2, 10x10x10cm... It's partly an excuse to learn how to set up my own LED contraptions. Probably going to end up with blue LEDs inside to shine on frosted detail windows...

Will frosted detail work as a light filter like I'm hoping it will?

http://i.imgur.com/pdMOP.png

http://i.imgur.com/Z4s0Q.png
Re: Companion Cube [message #26801 is a reply to message #26799 ] Sun, 01 May 2011 04:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 7777773  is currently offline 7777773
Go to my shop
Transparent detail will, and I suspect frosted detail will as well, with more diffuse light transmission.

I like your design, and would order one for myself when (if) you make it available.
Re: Companion Cube [message #26815 is a reply to message #26801 ] Sun, 01 May 2011 19:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Sparlin  is currently offline Sparlin
Go to my shop
There's no real way you can sell this item due to copyright; the design belongs to Valve.

In fact, there are a couple of objects for sale on Shapeways which probably shouldn't be on there, and I'd be worried for those who are selling them; some companies can be quite aggressive when pursuing copyright breakers!
Re: Companion Cube [message #26816 is a reply to message #26815 ] Sun, 01 May 2011 20:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Sparlin wrote on Sun, 01 May 2011 19:26

There's no real way you can sell this item due to copyright; the design belongs to Valve.

I didn't say I'm selling it. It wouldn't be copyright infringement if I were to make a papercraft one to put on my desk, same thing with Shapeways.

I haven't looked through Shapeways stores; are people really selling game/movie models?
Re: Companion Cube [message #26817 is a reply to message #26816 ] Sun, 01 May 2011 21:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Sparlin  is currently offline Sparlin
Go to my shop
I didn't mean that you would be breaking copyright just by printing it for yourself; only if you sell it.

Searching for companion cube, for example, brings up around 100 of said item all for sale.
Re: Companion Cube [message #26818 is a reply to message #26817 ] Sun, 01 May 2011 21:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 7777773  is currently offline 7777773
Go to my shop
Hmm, you make a good point.

I still love the design! would you mind if I duplicate it? For myself only, of course! I think interchangeable centers with an illuminated aperture logo or hearts, depending on the mood, would look nice. Love the idea of illuminating the cube.
Re: Companion Cube [message #26825 is a reply to message #26818 ] Mon, 02 May 2011 05:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
7777773 wrote on Sun, 01 May 2011 21:40

would you mind if I duplicate it?

Not at all. If you're asking for my model, I'm not finished with it yet and it's a little different now from what it was (no bottom window, it's part of the base). Still working on some kind of mount for the circuit board and LEDs too.
Re: Companion Cube [message #27028 is a reply to message #26825 ] Thu, 05 May 2011 23:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar PcChip  is currently offline PcChip
Go to my shop
Looks great! what software are you using?

I'm actually making one from Portal 1 in 3DSMax2009 myself at the moment... I knocked the first version out pretty quickly, then after staring at it for a minute, I wasn't happy with it so I spent way more time than I should have tweaking vertices to make it look right =)

Thoughts?
http://mikedawson.smugmug.com/Art/Artwork/i-SkhTPKv/0/O/companion_cube_02.png

Previous Topic:NS 2200
Next Topic:Blender and Polyhedrals...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.