Home » Community » General Discussion » Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #26677] Thu, 28 April 2011 11:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar nancyliang  is currently offline nancyliang
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey guys, I'd like to open up the forum for discussion for any feedback, issues, etc. related to the Image Popper Creator!

For more details please see the blog post on this Creator: http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/816-Introducing-Image -Popper,-a-new-way-to-easily-3D-model-and-3D-print.html

Thanks!
Nancy

[Updated on: Thu, 28 April 2011 11:25 UTC]

Product Manager
Twitter: @nliang
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #26678 is a reply to message #26677 ] Thu, 28 April 2011 11:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Going to use this post in the thread to keep a running list of features/bugs/ideas listed in this thread.

* Firefox integration for the Draw Your Own feature (currently only works in Chrome)
* Option to select mm & meters as measurements
* Translating Grayscale to Z-Height (this will be a longer term thing)
* Base plate--round base plate?
* Base plate--that conforms to the outline of the picture
* When you upload an image, it gives the user a preview of the image
* Beveling options

Fixed
* Thin wall issues for .1 inch models (2.5 mm)

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2011 13:51 UTC]

Product Manager
Co-creator platform sort not working [message #26707 is a reply to message #26678 ] Thu, 28 April 2011 18:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
The sort algorithm on the new cocreator platform page is not working correctly. This becomes very obvious when you try to sort by "Product name" or "Price", but the error is certainly also there with the other sort criteria.

For comparison, a supposedly more correct sort algorithm is implemented on the gallery page (check the "show personalize your own" checkbox)

Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #26730 is a reply to message #26678 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 10:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I am conversant with inch to mm conversion (1 inch = 25.4mm) and have a calculator to hand, however, when I choose 0.1 inches as the height (0.1 inch = 1/10 inch = 2.54mm) the model is rejected for being too small as it is only 2.2mm tall Sad

The dimensions reported in the email are different to what I entered. (1) = 1 inch, (2) = 0.1 (3) no back

Your design is too small!

The size is 2.54 x 2.34 x 0.22 cm / 0.98 x 0.91 x 0.08 inch (h x w x d). We can only produce products larger than 0.24 x 0.24 x 0.24 cm / 0.09 x 0.09 x 0.09 inch (h x w x d). Please rescale it to make it larger.

Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #26753 is a reply to message #26730 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 20:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar writerwolf  is currently offline writerwolf
Go to my shop
Having the same issues, I keep getting rejected at around the .1" thickness level :/

WriterWolf
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #26762 is a reply to message #26753 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 21:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith is currently online stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
How about an option to bevel or round the base plate?

I just noticed.. are we going to get thin wall rejections from these?

[Updated on: Fri, 29 April 2011 21:17 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #26783 is a reply to message #26762 ] Sat, 30 April 2011 15:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith is currently online stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Suggestion: take the uploaded images and automatically add it to the model's detail page.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #26784 is a reply to message #26783 ] Sat, 30 April 2011 15:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
stonysmith wrote on Sat, 30 April 2011 15:10

Suggestion: take the uploaded images and automatically add it to the model's detail page.

That might leave a design open to being all too easily copied.

Along the same lines though, have the image displayed after upload on the Image Popper page (so we know we have the right image Wink)

Re: Co-creator platform sort not working [message #26806 is a reply to message #26707 ] Sun, 01 May 2011 11:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
trompevenlo wrote on Thu, 28 April 2011 18:03

The sort algorithm on the new cocreator platform page is not working correctly. This becomes very obvious when you try to sort by "Product name" or "Price", but the error is certainly also there with the other sort criteria.

For comparison, a supposedly more correct sort algorithm is implemented on the gallery page (check the "show personalize your own" checkbox)

Very interesting, thanks for letting us know. I will ask the dev team about this and start working on this.

Product Manager
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #26807 is a reply to message #26730 ] Sun, 01 May 2011 12:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
stop4stuff wrote on Fri, 29 April 2011 10:10

I am conversant with inch to mm conversion (1 inch = 25.4mm) and have a calculator to hand, however, when I choose 0.1 inches as the height (0.1 inch = 1/10 inch = 2.54mm) the model is rejected for being too small as it is only 2.2mm tall

Ah that's an issue with the bounding box check and not with the creator. I think that maybe bounding box limited was placed before we started. I will look into this and see if we can lower it to a more reasonable limit.

Thanks!

Product Manager
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #26808 is a reply to message #26762 ] Sun, 01 May 2011 12:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
stonysmith wrote on Fri, 29 April 2011 21:15

How about an option to bevel or round the base plate?

I've thought about this actually.

Re: Bevel, beveling is tricky because the way blender does it it creators conflicting shells (around corners, like in the letter W). The current script in the backend can actually handle beveling (shh), but the feature was taken out until we can get the shell issue sorted.

Re: round base plate--that's a great idea! I was thinking about how to make a base plate that is just surrounds the image. So if you submitted a triangle design, you would get a triangle base. But I think that's more difficult to script.. the round one might be a good alternative and easier to script!!

Product Manager
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #26809 is a reply to message #26784 ] Sun, 01 May 2011 12:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
stop4stuff wrote on Sat, 30 April 2011 15:19

Along the same lines though, have the image displayed after upload on the Image Popper page (so we know we have the right image Wink)

Ah! I think we can swing something like that. Have you tried running this in Chrome? In Chrome there's a special Draw your own feature that shows you the image you drew after you finish drawing. Something like that perhaps?

Product Manager
Re: Co-creator platform sort not working [message #26876 is a reply to message #26806 ] Mon, 02 May 2011 22:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar horst  is currently offline horst
Go to all my models
I work here
nancyliang wrote on Sun, 01 May 2011 11:57

trompevenlo wrote on Thu, 28 April 2011 18:03

Very interesting, thanks for letting us know. I will ask the dev team about this and start working on this.

I've got this in our bug list now. This uses the same components used elsewhere on the site, so the cause is not immediately apparent, but we are on the case.

-Ben

Shapeways Front-End Product Lead
Re: Co-creator platform sort not working [message #26963 is a reply to message #26876 ] Wed, 04 May 2011 19:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Silverbeam  is currently offline Silverbeam
Go to my shop
It's kinda fun! Although We'll see if I can print some of the things I "popped" put as some of them have thin tendrils....

Also why does it say not for sale on the shop page?
I wish I could make it thinner as well.

If it had max thick/ size and minimum size right there on the creator page it would be helpful as well.

SEE ETSY SHOP: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Silverbeam
Re: Co-creator platform sort not working [message #26967 is a reply to message #26963 ] Wed, 04 May 2011 19:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
It's set as private by default, but you can change it to become for-sale on the product's page.

In the right column, scroll down until you see the header "Model availability" and then check the box labeled "available to all". Under the header "Model view state", select the option reading "Show and allow ordering".

Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #26984 is a reply to message #26677 ] Wed, 04 May 2011 20:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Silverbeam  is currently offline Silverbeam
Go to my shop
ah.... I see, I missed that somehow when I looked it over. thanks

SEE ETSY SHOP: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Silverbeam
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #26985 is a reply to message #26984 ] Wed, 04 May 2011 20:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
By the way, thin wall issues are fixed. Smile Enjoy!

Product Manager
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #27032 is a reply to message #26677 ] Fri, 06 May 2011 04:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar vecna42  is currently offline vecna42
Go to all my models
I'm just confused as to why I'm not receiving any feedback once my files have "successfully" uploaded. I assume successfully, since the Popper takes the image and replies that I'll receive an email with next steps. However, that email never shows up. This has happened twice.

Is the image uploading, being examined, and then failing, and the system just isn't letting me know?

Perplexed.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 May 2011 04:28 UTC]

Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #27036 is a reply to message #27032 ] Fri, 06 May 2011 06:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi vecna42,

You should get two emails regardless, the first 'Thanks for uploading a model' and the second, either 'Your model became printable' or 'There was a problem with your model'

A couple of things to check out, spam filter settings - if you can put Shapeways on your white (allowed) list also check you email address is correct in your profile - you can find this by clicking on 'My Shapeways' at the top of every page.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #27045 is a reply to message #27036 ] Fri, 06 May 2011 14:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
stop4stuff wrote on Fri, 06 May 2011 06:54

Hi vecna42,

You should get two emails regardless, the first 'Thanks for uploading a model' and the second, either 'Your model became printable' or 'There was a problem with your model'

A couple of things to check out, spam filter settings - if you can put Shapeways on your white (allowed) list also check you email address is correct in your profile - you can find this by clicking on 'My Shapeways' at the top of every page.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Thanks for the followup, Paul. E-mail address is just fine -- I receive the Shapeways newsletters, and even got the ping when you replied to my message. Wink But nothing from the Popper. I'll try again today, but I'm not expecting different results.
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #27056 is a reply to message #27045 ] Fri, 06 May 2011 20:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Let us know what you get this time, because when I look at our email delivery stats, they are really good (which means I don't expect them to be blocked as spam between our server and your inbox). This doesn't include your local email client's spam filter, though, so that could be blocking it...

-Ben

Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #27060 is a reply to message #27045 ] Fri, 06 May 2011 20:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It might be a long shot, vecna42, but are you a US based Comcast customer... they got some weird stuff going on atm re spam IP blocking... it so, Ben (horst) expect incoming bounced emails in 3 days or less!

Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #27064 is a reply to message #27060 ] Fri, 06 May 2011 21:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Though, even if the email is blocked the model should have gone through (unless it had thin walls or something like that).

Re: vecna42
Can you send me the designs you want to upload and what dimensions you'd like it? I can try it on my machine and see. nancy (at) shapeways (dot) com.

Thanks,
Nancy

Product Manager
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #27069 is a reply to message #27064 ] Sat, 07 May 2011 01:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Funny enough, all these positive thoughts must have kicked something loose -- the third time I tried uploading the exact same file, everything worked perfectly. Got the initial, "We got it" message, and the "Success" message that followed a minute or two later.

I appreciate everyone's brain power. Nothing beats the power of positive thinking, I guess. Smile

Oh, and I'll add my vote for rounded bevelling of edges as a nice additional feature.
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #28436 is a reply to message #26677 ] Tue, 31 May 2011 18:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CoreyC  is currently offline CoreyC
Go to my shop
This image popper script is really useful, but I came across the need to create a hole shaped like an image. So would it be possible for the next iteration that if you added a base, placing negative numbers for the "popping" part would give you a hole instead? That would be just grand!
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #28442 is a reply to message #28436 ] Tue, 31 May 2011 19:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
If I'm understanding your problem correctly all you have to do is draw your own "frame" and color in the "negative space" (really positive in the final model) around your hole yourself. Basically just draw your model "backwards" (or even use the invert tool in your paint program).

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding you and you have a more complex issue than I'm seeing Wink
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #28445 is a reply to message #28442 ] Tue, 31 May 2011 19:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shocked
You sir, are a genius! I swear, one day my face and palm will one day be fused!
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #28457 is a reply to message #28445 ] Wed, 01 June 2011 02:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
I'd quite like to be able to download the design as an .stl file, that way the user if they wish can add additional details or maybe mount the design on a ring or attach a hoop to allow the "popper" to be hung on a neckless etc

Regards,

Jack
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #28458 is a reply to message #28457 ] Wed, 01 June 2011 02:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
In fact, you can, although there is no immediate method (which I would support by the way Smile).After you have the model on the 'my designs' page, you can download associated output.stl by clicking the download button on the sidebar on the model's viewing page. After that it's normal import into blender or what-not you use.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2011 02:14 UTC]

Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #28460 is a reply to message #28458 ] Wed, 01 June 2011 02:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
In that case I suggest the ability to download strait away, rather than uploading, placing in the shop, downloading and finally deleting/updating the geo of the popper to replace it with the neckless, ring, etc

Regards,

Jack
Re: Co-creator platform sort not working [message #29769 is a reply to message #26876 ] Mon, 27 June 2011 10:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tibbittsjim  is currently offline tibbittsjim
Go to all my models
I am running into some of the same issues here.
I tried uploading an image with a thickness of .008 inches (around .2mm).
The website said I successfully uploaded the file but I did not recieve an email confirmation nor a email reporting a failure.
I assume it was because it was too thin because it worked when I tried much thicker tests.
Is there a rule now for minimum thickness?
Re: Co-creator platform sort not working [message #29865 is a reply to message #29769 ] Tue, 28 June 2011 17:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ok, here's an idea that would solve a problem that I'm running into and might make the product more appealing to many deisgners, AND it might be easy(ish) to implement:

2-Sided Popper.

I'm desigining custom tokens for a board-game I'm developing, and the "popper" utility it proving to be the PERFECT solution to prototype (possibly even create for production) the token designs.

However, certain tokens in the game can be played differently depending on whether they are placed "Side A" or "Side B" facing up. I really need each "face" to feature a different design to indicate these options.

My current plan is to "pop" each image seperately, download the models, and (hopefully successfully) use my deeply mediocre 3D rendering skills to marry them back-to-back and then I'll re-upload.

It'd be GREAT if the Popper could be extended to accept 2 images, and automatically extrude each image to 50% of the thickness of the end-model, placing them back-to-back (perhaps with a flat-plane sandwiched in between, or not, not sure which would be easier.)

I'm sure it's not a quick fix, but it seems like a pretty straight forward extension of the concept, and I sure know I'd find a million uses for it!

Just a thought!
Eric
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #29897 is a reply to message #26677 ] Wed, 29 June 2011 06:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar henryseg  is currently offline henryseg
Go to my shop
Just a thought on:

* Translating Grayscale to Z-Height

Using transparency in the image would be the obvious thing for specifying where the boundary of the shape is, because you can't use white for background of the image any more. Alternatively, it might be easier for people to use a different colour (red, for example) for the background.
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #30069 is a reply to message #26677 ] Fri, 01 July 2011 17:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cadalu  is currently offline cadalu
Go to all my models
As a total newbie, I would like to second the idea for different base options. A circle and oval would be wonderful and having the base conform to the actual design would be amazing.

I think this feature is a godsend to people with limited 3D experience. I really hope this feature keeps evolving!!!

I've been having a blast trying out different shapes but I'd like a way to do some engraving rather than cutting all the way through (negative space) and the different base options should be able to solve that.

Thanks shapeways!!
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #31025 is a reply to message #26677 ] Sun, 17 July 2011 16:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cadalu  is currently offline cadalu
Go to all my models
Ok, this is a really tiny thing but when you update the image popper is there any chance you could move the privacy settings to the first page like you do with the normal upload feature? If we could check (or uncheck as the case may be) the available for sale, view on site on the first page when we're uploading the image that would be a wonderful time saver.
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #31089 is a reply to message #26677 ] Mon, 18 July 2011 14:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Also, I don't suppose a batch upload would be a problem would it? The overhead for uploading just three models at a time now is crazy, but a batch upload would make things just grand!
icon14.gif  Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #33957 is a reply to message #31089 ] Wed, 07 September 2011 18:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar camayal  is currently offline camayal
Go to all my models
Hi, I think that maybe will be fine a Coin designer or Medallion designer.

For example:
Step 1. Chose the Obverse image
Step 2. Chose the Reverse image
Step 3. Chose your Rim (maybe you can create a particular Rims)
Step 4. Chose the Edge image or Type (maybe you can create some types)

FYI: http://coins.about.com/od/coinsglossary/ss/coinanatomy.htm

Regards
Re: Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? [message #33978 is a reply to message #33957 ] Thu, 08 September 2011 00:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar byShapeways  is currently offline byShapeways
Go to my shop
Hey! Thanks for your feedback. I want to get back to this but other things keep getting in the way, but the good news is we've hired some awesome Product Designers (well one really awesome Product Designer) and she's working on making even better creators. I just wanted to let you guys know that your feedback hasn't gone unnoticed.

Thanks all!
Cancel "Folha B&W.jpg", please! [message #35993 is a reply to message #26677 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 21:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Lindsley60  is currently offline Lindsley60
Go to my shop
Sorry, I don´t understand that the model have to be paid. I think that I could try without paying, that the creation model was automatic. Please, forgive me and cancel the creation of the model "Folha B&W.jpg" uploaded today.
Sorry again.

Lindsley60
Re: Cancel "Folha B&W.jpg", please! [message #35997 is a reply to message #35993 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 22:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Lindsley60, the model creation is automatic and you can download the model from your model page. Printing the model is what is paid for.

You can delete the model yourself by going to your My Models page and clicking on the trashcan icon under the image.

Pages (2): [1  2    »] 

Previous Topic:Shapeways materials for antenna substrate
Next Topic:Missed the Siri contest :(

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.