Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » It arrived! » it arrived - sort of ...
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
it arrived - sort of ... [message #25931] Mon, 11 April 2011 16:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
Some interesting observations about silver "printing".

The good news: The silver folks try a lot harder than others to get your stuff done and they also (sort of) tell you what's going on.
The bad news: They may change your model substantially and the result may not be what you want.

At first, we had this piece printed and as you can see, it failed. At first look, it seemed to have been distorted in the tumbler.
index.php?t=getfile&id=8192&private=0
So we submitted a complaint and this was the response from the crew:
Quote:

The wires of the feet are wrapped as a spiral. Normally we had to reject this file on this part, because it is not a normal handling and to cast.

We decided to wrap the spirals ourselves over here, probably it has slightly bent with the finishing.

You have to keep in mind that Silver is soft and strong, if you want you can bent your model in the right direction.

If you want to have this model printed again, you have to keep in mind that we can't print the wrapped feet like you have modeled it.

Upon closer inspection, it turned out that at least parts of the model were not printed, but somehow welded or otherwise connected to the thing after the fact. The same for the little necklace-ring on the back (not visible on the foto).

Then, we had these other two printed. They came out really nice, but the all-important rings at the top are completely missing. No trace that they ever had been there.
index.php?t=getfile&id=8193&private=0
Have not yet received their response, but I think they have removed these delicate parts from the model and wanted to later add them manually.

It seems to me that in this case, they just forgot about it in the end ...

• Attachment: s1.jpg
    (Size: 36.63KB, Downloaded 804 time(s))

• Attachment: s2.jpg
    (Size: 40.02KB, Downloaded 795 time(s))

Re: it arrived - sort of ... [message #25936 is a reply to message #25931 ] Mon, 11 April 2011 18:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Yeah, that's definitely not right. QA needs to be better than this. I have some of the ops team examining this at the moment.

Has anyone else had similar issues with silver?

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: it arrived - sort of ... [message #25964 is a reply to message #25936 ] Tue, 12 April 2011 12:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nancyliang  is currently offline nancyliang
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey guys, very astute in your hypothesis on what's happening. Polishing can indeed distort things. In fact, we pushed the supplier to purchase a new polisher and media, which should lead to better results. The new media is finer and should also reach into detail better than before.

As for the top, yes you are correct that our suppliers are welding some parts. Again with the polishing, it is risky to leave small parts hanging off. As you know, silver is a flexible metal, so we are experimenting with different pieces.

I spoke to our supply chain team about paying extra close attention to QA-ing these parts, since silver is a whole new game for us we are learning a lot and need to pay extra attention.

Have you contacted customer service about this yet? I think they can take care of refunds, vouchers, or various compensation for you.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Best,
Nancy

Product Manager
Twitter: @nliang
Re: it arrived - sort of ... [message #25967 is a reply to message #25964 ] Tue, 12 April 2011 14:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar vaclav.mazany  is currently offline vaclav.mazany
Go to my shop
Quote:

The new media is finer and should also reach into detail better than before.

Hi Nancy,
can you compare it somehow to the "old" one ?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/123004/
Bubbly Ring
for example, does it mean that even such rings can be polished ?

Or any other example, of what benefits this can brings.
Thanx
Sad story, next round [message #26359 is a reply to message #25964 ] Fri, 22 April 2011 09:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Customer service had asked to return the two defective pieces, which I did ...
Today, the parcel with the supposedly repaired models arrived, but ...

- there was only ONE OF THE TWO pieces in the parcel. The boy is completely missing.

- the ring which they manually soldered to the top is TOO SMALL. the thing at the end of the band does not go through.

index.php?t=getfile&id=8402&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=8401&private=0

Also, the manual repair left some traces on the very front of the model which more or less destroy the overall appearance.

Am I asking too much here ?

Re: Sad story, next round [message #26371 is a reply to message #26359 ] Fri, 22 April 2011 15:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RalphVdB  is currently offline RalphVdB
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Ulrich,

my colleague Maartje has already sent you an email about this. The other part will be shipped next Tuesday to you.

Happy Eastern

cheers, Ralph

Shapeways International Customer Service Manager
Re: Sad story, next round [message #26375 is a reply to message #26371 ] Fri, 22 April 2011 16:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Dear Ralph,

Please check with Maartje. This is moving into the wrong direction.

index.php?t=getfile&id=8414&private=0

Re: Sad story, next round [message #26394 is a reply to message #26375 ] Fri, 22 April 2011 20:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
I work here
With some regret I will respond here, cause we are clearly not performing as we should and I promise we will step up from here to deliver quality you should expect

1) if we are shipping separate boxes per order, we have cards to indicate this and inform you! This should have been done in this case. We did this with the best intend - to be faster - but we should have let you know.

2) if we make statements like "so you made the hole too (spelling error corrected) small then" can be made ONLY if we know this to be true. In your pictures it is easy to see it is not true and the printing was the problem or there is a more intricate issue at hand. In any case this is NOT the right response.

3) the soldering in the images on the forum post, are WAY below any acceptable standards. This should never have been produced, or shipped to you in this manner.

We will address these issues and step up our game to deliver true personalized products that will make you happy time and again! You have my word.

Pete
Re: it arrived - sort of ... [message #26427 is a reply to message #25936 ] Sat, 23 April 2011 19:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar froland  is currently offline froland
Go to my shop
Hi Everybody,

this silver print is also broken. The picture shows the silver print compared to a bronze print of the same model. The central structure seems to be bent open. Is this from polishing?

Does anybody have an idea of what happened here? Can we get it fixed?

Thanks!

froland

• Attachment: IMG_7661.JPG
    (Size: 204.12KB, Downloaded 121 time(s))

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/frolands
Re: it arrived - sort of ... [message #26507 is a reply to message #26427 ] Mon, 25 April 2011 15:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Silver is a soft metal so it could be caused from the barrel finishing (tumbling) process. It is also possible that the wax model suffered some warpage before casting but this seems less likely.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: it arrived - sort of ... [message #26563 is a reply to message #26507 ] Tue, 26 April 2011 08:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar RalphVdB  is currently offline RalphVdB
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Froland,

can you please sent an email to service@shapeways.com?
Then we will have a look at this and offer you a proper solution!

Cheers, Ralph

Shapeways International Customer Service Manager

Previous Topic:textured rod necklaces
Next Topic:Jewelry Assortment Arrived