Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Space Filling Polyhedra [message #26370] Fri, 22 April 2011 15:01 UTC
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi,

I received time ago two space filling polyhedra, but before showing them, I needed to make some drawings to explain the concept.
So here is the explanation.
You can transform a cube into a dodecahedron by drawing on each squared face a new edge and then pushing it outside the cube.
There is an analogy with a square that you can transform into an octagon by drawing new vertices at mid-edge and then pushing them outside.
Squares can fill the plane and if you tranform one square out of two (checkerboard pattern) you obtain a tiling of the plane made of octagons and another pointy shape (let's call it an anti-octagon).
index.php?t=getfile&id=8413&private=0
In the same way, cubes can fill space and applying the cube-to-dodecahedron transformation to one cube out of two you got a couple of space-filling polyhedra: the dodecahedron, of course, and a pointy shape that we can call an anti-dodecahedron.
Let's stop the explanations one second and see the results.
The dodecahedron:
../modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=223206&f=photos/photo36352.jpg
The anti-dodecahedron:
../modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=223206&f=photos/photo36353.jpg

Now, if you consider that you are filling the space only with dodecahedra (the anti-dodecahedra being replaced by void), you will find that dodecahedra can fill space with a ratio of 90.43% (for reference, this ratio is 74.05% for spheres). Not bad isn't it?
Very Happy

You can also check the video.

• Attachment: dodnet.jpg
    (Size: 132.47KB, Downloaded 700 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2011 19:33 UTC]

So many things to design, so little time...

Previous Topic:Updated Pod à Porter for shuffle 4
Next Topic:Mixup Prism

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.