Home » Community » It arrived! » Space Filling Polyhedra
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Space Filling Polyhedra [message #26370] Fri, 22 April 2011 15:01 UTC
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Hi,

I received time ago two space filling polyhedra, but before showing them, I needed to make some drawings to explain the concept.
So here is the explanation.
You can transform a cube into a dodecahedron by drawing on each squared face a new edge and then pushing it outside the cube.
There is an analogy with a square that you can transform into an octagon by drawing new vertices at mid-edge and then pushing them outside.
Squares can fill the plane and if you tranform one square out of two (checkerboard pattern) you obtain a tiling of the plane made of octagons and another pointy shape (let's call it an anti-octagon).
index.php?t=getfile&id=8413&private=0
In the same way, cubes can fill space and applying the cube-to-dodecahedron transformation to one cube out of two you got a couple of space-filling polyhedra: the dodecahedron, of course, and a pointy shape that we can call an anti-dodecahedron.
Let's stop the explanations one second and see the results.
The dodecahedron:
../modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=223206&f=photos/photo36352.jpg
The anti-dodecahedron:
../modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=223206&f=photos/photo36353.jpg

Now, if you consider that you are filling the space only with dodecahedra (the anti-dodecahedra being replaced by void), you will find that dodecahedra can fill space with a ratio of 90.43% (for reference, this ratio is 74.05% for spheres). Not bad isn't it?
Very Happy

You can also check the video.

• Attachment: dodnet.jpg
    (Size: 132.47KB, Downloaded 691 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2011 19:33 UTC]

So many things to design, so little time...

Previous Topic:Updated Pod à Porter for shuffle 4
Next Topic:Mixup Prism