Home »  » 3D Design » Beginner questions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Beginner questions [message #257] Tue, 17 June 2008 15:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar Albinal  is currently offline Albinal
Go to all my models
My ultimate goal would be to produce a short run of models... I aim to print one, cast it and produce X number that I will paint and sell.

Here's a pic of an idea I have:
http://www.elyeball.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/modelForPrint.jpg

Before I go any further does the model need to be one continuous mesh? This guys head is a sphere and his hair is another modified sphere. I know my final output will be one mesh but it's made up of "islands" of objects.

How do I know what size the model is. I remember reading this somewhere (I use Blender) and I know it's something to do with Blender units!?!?

Will this print in one go or will I have to print the arms/hands separately and join them on later? This is also interesting as I may want to put something in his hand. Can I just add something and make sure it is touching the hand?

Many thanks!

Re: Beginner questions [message #258 is a reply to message #257 ] Tue, 17 June 2008 15:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi,

Nice model!

We support multiple meshes. As long as each mesh in itself is manifold it will print. The printer will treat the model as 1 big mesh.

To ensure that all parts are firmly connected to each other you should take care that all parts are at least a 1-2 millimeters connected to each other.

If you do not connect the parts at all they will be printed separately. You can choose to put it up as one model or put each part as a separate model. There is no impact on the price either way.

Also looking at this object, I would advise to make the arms at least a 3-4 millimeters thick. Or else they can break when handled.

For exporting from Blender please read our Blender export tutorial (http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/exporting-from-blender).
As mentioned in the tutorial the Blender units are converted to centimeters.

Does this help you?

Robert
Re: Beginner questions [message #261 is a reply to message #258 ] Tue, 17 June 2008 22:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks Robert! That's great! It's very exciting! Very Happy

I can see from the transform properties box that he is almost 8 and a half cm tall, 6cm wide and 3cm deep! Maybe a bit too big depending on the cost!

I take your point about the arms especially as I want to cast him in one piece! I saw something on the Discovery channel about casting models in silicone and you can just pop the original out in one piece... that's what I'm after but since I haven't done it before it would make sense to toughen him up a bit!

I've emailed some casting suppliers to see what's best to do this and if this type of model can be done in one go.

Fingers crossed everything will go well and then I can't literally make whatever I can imagine! Shocked

What's the best material to go for? From here:
http://www.shapeways.com/about/material-options

...the cream one looks like a bit of a rough finish and the transparent one looks smoothest, but it's difficult to tell.

Cheers!
Re: Beginner questions [message #262 is a reply to message #261 ] Wed, 18 June 2008 08:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hey Albinal,

I'd go for one of the Detail materials (either white or transparent) - they both print at exactly the same resolution.

There's a post on our blog about someone who made casts for chocolates. I figure you could use a similar process to make your own?

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Beginner questions [message #566 is a reply to message #262 ] Mon, 04 August 2008 12:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar zapwow  is currently offline zapwow
Go to all my models
That model has no feet! Are you sure it will be able to stand up?

Maybe Blender could benefit from a centre of gravity script so we could precisely know such things.
Re: Beginner questions [message #601 is a reply to message #566 ] Tue, 05 August 2008 06:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
zapwow wrote on Mon, 04 August 2008 08:19

Maybe Blender could benefit from a centre of gravity script so we could precisely know such things.

That would be cool, yes. I've had some luck with using the physics engine in Blender's game engine to see how good an object's balance is. It's a bit tricky to set up, but it'll do the job.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Beginner questions [message #606 is a reply to message #601 ] Tue, 05 August 2008 10:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I did the game engine test and he stood Very Happy ... but maybe I'll model a bit of a platform just incase. I'm not able to get him made at the moment as I am completely skint! Confused
Re: Beginner questions [message #607 is a reply to message #606 ] Tue, 05 August 2008 10:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I think adding a platform is definitely a good idea - without feet, this model will be very unstable Wink

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Beginner questions [message #635 is a reply to message #607 ] Tue, 05 August 2008 18:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar zapwow  is currently offline zapwow
Go to all my models
A base is a good idea. Using the physics engine to find center of mass, however, is not. It simply uses the object origin as the center of mass and does not actually calculate the center for you.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 August 2008 18:02 UTC]

Re: Beginner questions [message #2302 is a reply to message #257 ] Mon, 22 December 2008 09:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thought I'd update this with the actual model which was recently printed... just have to figure out how to cast him now...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/3054281786_7b01a855c0_o.jpg

With no-way of knowing if he was actually going to stand-up it was a bit of a gamble... but he does! Yay!
Re: Beginner questions [message #2305 is a reply to message #2302 ] Mon, 22 December 2008 13:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RalphVdB  is currently offline RalphVdB
Go to my shop
I work here
Looks great Albinal!

Shapeways International Customer Service Manager
Re: Beginner questions [message #2310 is a reply to message #257 ] Mon, 22 December 2008 19:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar roofoo  is currently offline roofoo
Go to my shop
Hey, that's nifty! Very Happy

http://www.eyephoriadesign.com http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eyephoriadesign http://www.etsy.com/shop/eyephoriadesign
Re: Beginner questions [message #2621 is a reply to message #2310 ] Sat, 24 January 2009 03:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop
Well there is always the cast in plaster/ceramic thats graded to take molten metal then place it in a kiln after it dries to melt the material out, but of course that method is only good for one cast, but then you will have a metal one you can use to make more in a different method.

Previous Topic:0073 Sunglasses Degma Carrara
Next Topic:Unusual appearance of part in Gallery Viewer

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.