Home » Community » It arrived! » Great Northern Railway of Ireland Coach
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Great Northern Railway of Ireland Coach [message #25562] Sat, 02 April 2011 14:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar Ben Racey Modelling  is currently offline Ben Racey Modelling
Go to my shop
Hi All,
Really pleased with this one! It's a model of a 1930's irish railway carriage - from the Great Northern Railway of Ireland. The body and roof are printed as one, then you can simply snip away the roof for construction to add interior detail, paint etc. The bogies are available separately.

Really pleased with how this has turned out, as a one piece print I think it's come out really well as these are large main line carriages, which are quite some size in 4mm scale, approx 24cm long.

Regards to all

Richard.index.php?t=getfile&id=7915&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=7916&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=7917&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=7918&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=7919&private=0

Re: Great Northern Railway of Ireland Coach [message #25563 is a reply to message #25562 ] Sat, 02 April 2011 15:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
That's beautiful, Richard! How are you planning to finish and paint it?
Re: Great Northern Railway of Ireland Coach [message #25565 is a reply to message #25562 ] Sat, 02 April 2011 16:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It needs some buffers and couplings, as well as handrails/doorhandles/ventilators in the roof. Not sure yet how I'll paint it yet, either the GNRi wood effect, or the latter blue and cream livery. I'll post a few photos up when it's done!

Regards

Richard.
Re: Great Northern Railway of Ireland Coach [message #25569 is a reply to message #25562 ] Sat, 02 April 2011 22:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bunrattypark  is currently offline Bunrattypark
Go to my shop
That's an excellent piece of work. May I ask, are those photographs of the print as delivered, or after sanding or other treatment? What thickness did you use for your body sides? What is your plan for painting, will you use spray primer, will you use acrylics or enamels? Will you brush paint?

I have just uploaded the first of my CIE bus models, and have used an acrylic spray primer on my first prototype. I have yet to paint the main coats, so would be interested to see what you are doing. I found I didn't really need to sand the model at all, just a light rub on the rear to remove some slight terracing. I'll see how it looks with the primer coat.
Re: Great Northern Railway of Ireland Coach [message #25571 is a reply to message #25562 ] Sun, 03 April 2011 08:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Bunrattypark,
Glad you like it. Yes it's pretty much as delivered, the roof is attached to the body with small sprues, I've cut them off and it fits snugly on the body. It's just placed on the bogies at present to get the look of the thing and check the dimensions over before opening it out for sale. There's been a few modifications to ride height etc for the production models. It's printed in the WSF material, the White Detail would be nice but is just too expensive for a vehicle of this size - it's quite costly as it is!

I plan to lightly rub it down with a fibreglass pencil, use halfords car spray primer and rub that down again. Seems to work well as an approach. Not sure yet whether it's going to be the teak effect or blue and cream. Some further details of the plans I have for further models are on my website: www.glr3dmodeldesign.co.uk

Yes, I saw your buses appearing, they look really good, I like your approach with a shell and separate seats. Any plans for an E class bus? I might be up for one of those in 4mm in due course!

Regards

Richard.
Re: Great Northern Railway of Ireland Coach [message #25580 is a reply to message #25571 ] Sun, 03 April 2011 21:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Ohh, sprues, not really one solid piece. At first, it sounds like painting would be an absurdly complex operation. ^_^ Thanks for the tip about fiberglass pencils... now to find one.
Re: Great Northern Railway of Ireland Coach [message #25609 is a reply to message #25562 ] Mon, 04 April 2011 14:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Should be able to get one from the usual modelling supplies companies such as Squires(in the UK at least).

PS Bunratty park - do please PM me if you need a scale drawing of an E class bus!

Regards

Richard.
Re: Great Northern Railway of Ireland Coach [message #25838 is a reply to message #25562 ] Sat, 09 April 2011 07:46 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Hi all,
A few more detail shots of this model with a black background, really pleased how this model has turned out with the detail looking good:

index.php?t=getfile&id=8121&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=8122&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=8123&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=8124&private=0

Hope it's of interest.

Regards

richard.index.php?t=getfile&id=8125&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=8126&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=8127&private=0

[Updated on: Sat, 09 April 2011 07:49 UTC]

Previous Topic:Helicopter Dodecahedron Puzzle
Next Topic:Spiky Club

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.