Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Multiple parts in silver
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Multiple parts in silver [message #25176] Wed, 23 March 2011 16:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar WillLaPuerta  is currently offline WillLaPuerta
Go to my shop
I remember this being discussed in the blog post about the reintroduction of silver, where someone suggested printing multiple parts (For earrings, as an example) but connecting them with small pieces that can be broken off after delivery. I was wondering if anyone had tried this yet and how much trouble it would be. I'd hate to sell someone a pair of earrings only for them to discover they can't get them apart.

"I am just a humble servant with a message here for you" Reaper Media on Facebook
Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25178 is a reply to message #25176 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 17:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
Have recently submitted a model which consists of two distinct parts, not even connected in any way. Seems they have accepted it (but you can never know until it's there).

Edit: in silver.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 March 2011 17:31 UTC]

Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25179 is a reply to message #25178 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 17:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
They've always accepted models in multiple parts. The issue is that they specifically said we can't print multiple parts in silver. This, as I understand it, is mainly due to the extra effort it takes to process models in this material.

"I am just a humble servant with a message here for you" Reaper Media on Facebook
Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25181 is a reply to message #25176 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 17:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I took it as interlocking parts, I'll see if I can find an answer.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25195 is a reply to message #25181 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 20:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Nop, multiple parts (even if disconnected rather than moving) are currently not accepted for Silver. That why earrings are annouced at $80 minimum (twice the minimum $40).

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25196 is a reply to message #25176 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 20:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
OK, now that we have that cleared up, has anyone tried printing two objects connected by a thin piece and then broken them into separate parts at home?

Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25232 is a reply to message #25196 ] Thu, 24 March 2011 15:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar InterSimi  is currently offline InterSimi
Go to my shop
I would also like to know the outcome of this, as I wish to print parts in pairs and it seems inefficient (cost wise) to take this as two prints.

I have a pendant I wish to print, but it is in two parts, one for him and the other for her. His is much smaller than hers, hence the need to keep the cost down for both.

I think the issue would be in keeping the parts connected, as they use wax as the print. You may have to join the pair together with a reletively large join and then saw through the join and polish it out afterwards....That is what I might try in any case.

regards,

InterSimi
Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25233 is a reply to message #25176 ] Thu, 24 March 2011 15:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I would try having them very close together with a minimal sized connector. If it's smaller then the mass it's connecting, and seeing silver is a fairly soft metal, you may be able to bend it back and forth to break it.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25246 is a reply to message #25233 ] Thu, 24 March 2011 18:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
There are two reasons why bridging multiple parts together is not an option. First understand that SW Silver parts are not direct to metal prints. They are lost wax castings produced from wax prints! Adding tiny bridges in wax media (or any brittle media) makes process handling a nightmare. This alone disqualifies the option. However, more to the point; in a production casting shop, groups of wax models actually are first connected together by a network of wax channels known as sprue's. Both art and science goes into determining proper sprue locations and this task is always left to the casting technicians.
I suppose you could design bridges that would unify multiple parts for DIY removal/disassembly, but these would have to be substantial enough to withstand process handling and more importantly, to allow proper metal flow during the casting phase. There would really be no advantage in going this route and there are certainly more cost effective ways to produce silver scrap.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25247 is a reply to message #25246 ] Thu, 24 March 2011 18:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I was worried that would be a problem. Had a feeling anything big enough to hold them together would be more trouble than it's worth to remove later.

Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25414 is a reply to message #25176 ] Tue, 29 March 2011 16:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bluelinegecko  is currently offline bluelinegecko
Go to my shop
So does the "no multiple parts" criteria apply to cufflinks as well?

If so i think that Shapeways priced all their members out of the market with what they are offering here

http://www.shapeways.com/model/165276/logo_cufflinks.html?gi d=mg

Assuming the $70 is for a pair (the title is plural, 2 are pictured in the renderings, the size listed appears to correspond to a pair, and it doesn't say order 2) it will be impossible for any member to compete with that price. With a minimum of $80 for a pair of separately ordered cufflinks that puts us $20 over shapeways price with NO markup for plain silver, and $30 over shapeways price for glossy silver.

I really hope shapeways adjusts their policy on multiple items. I understand the concern with the silver process but with the $40 minimum model cost it is going to be real hard to be competitive, not to mention they save on shipping items like earrings and cufflinks which are obviously ordered in pairs.
Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25496 is a reply to message #25414 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 14:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nancyliang  is currently offline nancyliang
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey guys, I've been following this thread and I totally understand your concerns. $80 for earrings does seem steep, and since earrings don't take too much material (otherwise they'd get too heavy), I understand why you'd want them together.

To that end, we will start accepting multiple parts, well 2 parts, per pricing for earrings and cufflinks only (and if there are any other natural left-right pairings like earrings and cufflinks, though at the moment I can't think of any). Other items will be rejected or given a custom quote.

The reason is there is a lot of handling cost per part (cleaning, casting, polishing), which is why we need the flat fee to start. It would just be too pricey otherwise, and to cover our costs we would then have to raise costs for everybody.

I'll make a blog post and make this announcement official soon, but wanted to give you guys a heads up.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Nancy

Product Manager
Twitter: @nliang
Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25499 is a reply to message #25176 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 14:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Nancy, what about ring sets? Engagement & Wedding and such.

Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25500 is a reply to message #25176 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 15:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bluelinegecko  is currently offline bluelinegecko
Go to my shop
Great news! Thanks Nancy!
Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25501 is a reply to message #25500 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 15:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ahhhh, now that is good news!

Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25503 is a reply to message #25176 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 16:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar InterSimi  is currently offline InterSimi
Go to my shop
That is superb Nancy, thanks for the update.

regards,

InterSimi
Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25515 is a reply to message #25496 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 19:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
nancyliang wrote on Thu, 31 March 2011 14:36

Hey guys, I've been following this thread and I totally understand your concerns. $80 for earrings does seem steep, and since earrings don't take too much material (otherwise they'd get too heavy), I understand why you'd want them together.

To that end, we will start accepting multiple parts, well 2 parts, per pricing for earrings and cufflinks only (and if there are any other natural left-right pairings like earrings and cufflinks, though at the moment I can't think of any). Other items will be rejected or given a custom quote.

The reason is there is a lot of handling cost per part (cleaning, casting, polishing), which is why we need the flat fee to start. It would just be too pricey otherwise, and to cover our costs we would then have to raise costs for everybody.

I'll make a blog post and make this announcement official soon, but wanted to give you guys a heads up.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Nancy

Good news about paired parts...

Any news about the hallmarking issue for EU resellers?

Re: Multiple parts in silver [message #25818 is a reply to message #25515 ] Fri, 08 April 2011 14:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar baltimore  is currently offline baltimore
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Oh thats AWESOME.
Thanks nancy. That really lowers the price and makes things doable.

www.Custom3dStuff.com

Previous Topic:post production for detail material
Next Topic:Cleaning Stainless Steel

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.