Home »  » 3D Design » Reducing the model, the price jumped!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Reducing the model, the price jumped! [message #25184] Wed, 23 March 2011 18:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar Bunrattypark  is currently offline Bunrattypark
Go to my shop
I am trimming pieces from my model, gradually reducing the price by very small amounts. The bounding box is the same, I am just thinning out parts within the tolerances allowed.

Then suddenly, the price jumps UP!

How do I know when my model is printing at the most efficient possible, that I am not paying money unnecessarily when a trim here or there might save me more?

Is it simply trial and error?

Many thanks.
Re: Reducing the model, the price jumped! [message #25188 is a reply to message #25184 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 18:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WillLaPuerta  is currently offline WillLaPuerta
Go to my shop
This happened to me before and really frustrated me until I remembered that WSF has a discount if your model is above a certain density. When you keep the bounding box the same but thin the walls you reduce the density and may drop below the minimum level.

"I am just a humble servant with a message here for you" Reaper Media on Facebook
Re: Reducing the model, the price jumped! [message #25189 is a reply to message #25184 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 18:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I have three versions of the same model, each with very slight differences in wall thicknesses, yet the prices vary between €35.84, €40.97 and €41.60. The first price is the thicker one.

I wonder is there a way to know where the discount occurs? If I produce a new model, perhaps I will be close to the discount without realising, and pay more than I need?
Re: Reducing the model, the price jumped! [message #25190 is a reply to message #25184 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 18:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I think all the details are here http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/490-Significant-price -reduction-on-dense-models.html

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Reducing the model, the price jumped! [message #25191 is a reply to message #25184 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 18:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Many thanks for that! Two more questions. Is this a limited offer, to be withdrawn in the future?

And is there a way for me to calculate the volume of my model?

I hope to sell quite a few of my models, and the pricing will become a critical issue.

Many thanks.
Re: Reducing the model, the price jumped! [message #25192 is a reply to message #25184 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 19:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
after you upload your volume is under the bonding box dimensions. Your software may or may not have a volume calculator (I use KeyCreator, and it does have a volume calculator)

michael@shapeways.com
Re: Reducing the model, the price jumped! [message #25193 is a reply to message #25184 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 19:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
My apologies, it was right under my nose! Smile
Re: Reducing the model, the price jumped! [message #25194 is a reply to message #25184 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 20:11 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I work here
Not a problem.

michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Object not correct size
Next Topic:Walk and Climb 3D Animation Created in Blender

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.