Home » Support » 3D Applications » Resizing Quandry
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Resizing Quandry [message #25106] Mon, 21 March 2011 22:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar theclonefactory  is currently offline theclonefactory
Go to my shop
OK, I have read over all the info for resizing and have succesfully completed two models. I just want to understand what the hell is going on.

I designed 2 models in sketchup using a scale quotient of 10. That is to say that my 2 models are sized 435.2 mm and 232.2 mm respectively, but the final size should be 43.52 mm and 23.22 mm.

Anyway, I exported the models into collada then used meshlab to export into stl.

I then used accutrans to do a final resize and export back into collada. The scale factors make no sence to me.

After going through all of the importing and exporting I had to resize my models by a scale of approxiamately .002. One was 0.0025415 and the other was 0.00251 to get he desired final size that I explained above.

What the hell is going on?

If i started with the same scale and used the same processes why were the final scaling quotients different?
Re: Resizing Quandry [message #25113 is a reply to message #25106 ] Tue, 22 March 2011 08:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
A size factor of 0.0025415 suggests that you have selected inches somewhere down the line. Did you select 'mm' as the size unit when uploading the STL?

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Material/texture missing from part of my mesh
Next Topic:Autodesk Inventor Export to .stl

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.