Home » Support » 3D Printing » Print errors on bottom of WSF objects
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Print errors on bottom of WSF objects [message #25035] Mon, 21 March 2011 01:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
I've had several items printed in White, Strong & Flexible material and all of them have the same error in printing on the bottom surface. The outer edges are rounded off (and missing material) and there's a visible raised edge offset inwards from all the outer edges of the part:
index.php?t=getfile&id=7685&private=0

Re: Print errors on bottom of WSF objects [message #25036 is a reply to message #25035 ] Mon, 21 March 2011 02:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
Here's a shot of the top end of the part; it printed perfectly with nice sharp edges:
index.php?t=getfile&id=7686&private=0
Does anyone know why this happens? Is there anything that can be done with the 3D printer to get the bottom faces to print the same as the top?

Re: Print errors on bottom of WSF objects [message #25038 is a reply to message #25035 ] Mon, 21 March 2011 03:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum is currently online stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
SLS method melts the dust and it behaves differently for DownSkin than UpSkin.
Check tables here

[Updated on: Mon, 21 March 2011 03:31 UTC]

Re: Print errors on bottom of WSF objects [message #25041 is a reply to message #25038 ] Mon, 21 March 2011 07:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Yes, same issue here.
See on this die (depth of the numbers is 0.75 mm, more than the minimum detail and even that the wall thickness in Strong and Flexible).
The top and bottom are printed very differently. The number 2 is not readable, and thus I consider this print as a fail. The 13 in the opposite face is instead over-indented (or super-sharp).
index.php?t=getfile&id=7689&private=0

Concerning the printing orientation, does the operator only turn the models by 90°? For instance, on a cubic die, if I want to avoid a number being on an horizontal plan, can I position the cube with on vertex up? Or is it useless because the operator can position back the cube so that two faces are horizontal?

• Attachment: D14_issue.jpg
    (Size: 229.72KB, Downloaded 220 time(s))

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Print errors on bottom of WSF objects [message #25141 is a reply to message #25035 ] Tue, 22 March 2011 18:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The orientation should be decided by a computer to include the most amount of objects in one load. At least that's how the printer worked that I have seen. It could even make the inside of your model honey combed automatically to cut out material and weight.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Print errors on bottom of WSF objects [message #25251 is a reply to message #25041 ] Thu, 24 March 2011 22:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
Magic wrote on Mon, 21 March 2011 07:07

Concerning the printing orientation, does the operator only turn the models by 90°? For instance, on a cubic die, if I want to avoid a number being on an horizontal plan, can I position the cube with on vertex up? Or is it useless because the operator can position back the cube so that two faces are horizontal?

I'd hazard a guess that Shapeways have been using an auto-place for builds. There's pro's and con's to this - Computers can usually fit more in, but they'll never be able to account for all the factors a human can.

On your cubic die, I'd upload the part oriented how you want it. If the computer/human operator doesn't have to re-orient it (likely on such a small part relative to the size of build packets), I'd see no reason why it wouldn't be built as such.
Re: Print errors on bottom of WSF objects [message #25253 is a reply to message #25251 ] Thu, 24 March 2011 22:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Yes I agree. On small objects that are nearly spherical, reorienting is probably useless. In this case, we should have the guarantee that they will never be reoriented so that we can optimize by ourselves this orientation.
But does Shapeways agree? Wink

So many things to design, so little time...

Previous Topic:model rejected due to ratio thickness/length
Next Topic:What happens, if an ordered object gets rejected due to a printing error?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.