Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Site update, and upload times.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Site update, and upload times. [message #24040] Fri, 18 February 2011 19:38 UTC Go to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
Every time a site update happens, there is a number of people in the forums posting that the uploads are taking for ever.

Suggested fix: Make a banner that you turn on a day before the updates. Have it on the main page, and maybe also on the upload page. This banner will explain that Upload times may be extended due to making the Shapeways we all know and love better. This way we have less questions, and clearer and better communication.

In Troth,

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Site update, and upload times. [message #24765 is a reply to message #24040 ] Fri, 11 March 2011 16:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi Ray, thanks. We need to look into this one..
Re: Site update, and upload times. [message #24766 is a reply to message #24040 ] Fri, 11 March 2011 16:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Perhaps it could be a permanent banner that would give you an expected upload time. Like when you call any service provider (We're having a heavier than expected call volume, your anticipated wait time is 3 hours, calls will be answered in the order they were received, there are 15 people in front of you) something like that?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Site update, and upload times. [message #24767 is a reply to message #24766 ] Fri, 11 March 2011 16:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
NO! Smile

We should make the site faster and faster - not become like them and make more and more excuses! Wink

Pete
Re: Site update, and upload times. [message #24768 is a reply to message #24040 ] Fri, 11 March 2011 17:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar horst  is currently offline horst
Go to all my models
I work here
We have been working on some backend optimizations over the past few months that probably impacted model upload times on new releases.

However, those optimizations are largely complete, so I do not expect this problem to recur on future site updates. In fact, we've moved to a model of smaller, but more-frequent changes to the site. This should be nearly imperceptible to site users.

If you do have an issue, though, feel free to PM me and I'll take a look right away.

-Ben

Shapeways Front-End Product Lead
Re: Site update, and upload times. [message #24772 is a reply to message #24767 ] Fri, 11 March 2011 18:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
pete wrote on Fri, 11 March 2011 16:59

NO! Smile

We should make the site faster and faster - not become like them and make more and more excuses! Wink

Pete

Laughing Well hopefully most of the time it would say expected time a few minutes 0-1 people in front of you. But when Oprah recommends Shapeways, and you get slammed with millions of uploads in ten minutes it would tell you to hold on, it's going to be a while.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Site update, and upload times. [message #24775 is a reply to message #24772 ] Fri, 11 March 2011 19:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
You made me laugh!! ROTL
Re: Site update, and upload times. [message #24793 is a reply to message #24775 ] Sat, 12 March 2011 04:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
hey! Oprah COULD happen to Shapeways! *nods* Very Happy

This fantastic little company is doing nothing BUT growing. And more and more people are wanting things done THEIR way! So, Anything is possible!

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Site update, and upload times. [message #24813 is a reply to message #24040 ] Mon, 14 March 2011 01:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar horst  is currently offline horst
Go to all my models
I work here
Thanks for the support, Ray!

Shapeways Front-End Product Lead

Previous Topic:Need Searchable Tags
Next Topic:I want to create my own lenses.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.